Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

Problem with TCAS

Hi all,I've recently re-installed the 737-800/900 update, which includes the TCAS. As far as I know, it should also work in the 737-700. When I load the 737-700 and test the TCAS, it says that TCAS tests okay. Prior to departure, I switch the transponder mode to TA/RA. After departure, I look for traffic and try to head in the direction of the traffic but there's no display of any traffic showing up on the ND even though I would be 500ft from the traffic, and I get no traffic alert. It's not working but yet when I test the TCAS on the ground, it says TCAS test okay. Is there something I need to do? Ken.

Ken,Did you activate the ND for TCAS by pressing the TFC button on your EFIS panel (To the left of the MCP)?Hope it helps,

Guest TrafficTraffic

Hmm...even without the ND switch, you should still get a TA or RA for close traffic. The ND TFC switch just controls whether non-threatening traffic is visible.Still, turn on that switch and make sure the ND is displaying "TFC" along the left edge and tell us what happens.Lee Hetherington, PP-ASEL (KBED)

Hi Mats,That what the problem was. I did not press the TFC button. I read the Automation and TCAS manual and it did not say anything about pressing the TFC button. Everything works fine now, even the traffic alert. Thanks for the tip. The one thing I do not like about the update is that the overhead panel does not work as well as it did before I updated to the 737-800/900 series. It does not look as good either. The illumination lights are not as bright and they're too dark. Not only that but every time I load a flight, such as the 737-700, the autothrottle switch will not work because the engine generators were not already switched on as they were in the previous version. I like the TCAS but I don't like the way the overhead panel looks and the fire alarm and master caution switches don't look as good either because it's hard to read. Is this the way the overhead panal looks in the real 737-700?Ken.