Sign in to follow this  
slip-stream

Multi Monitors with PMDG

Hi. I have 3 monitors running with the 737 and undock the PFD, NG, and EICAS in windowed mode.I see the option within the PMDG tab to set the PMDG Styles option for multi-monitor use. Does anybody know what this does?Also, everytime I re-start FS I have to re-undock the panels, drag them to the appropriate monitor and then re-size them everytime which takes up valuable time.Does anyone know how to overcome this problem?Thanks.Power Supply Unit: Hiper 525W True Power PSU Processor: Athlon 64 3500+ Socket 939 CPU fan: Standard Fan Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 PCI-Express Graphics card: Dual GeForce 6800 GTs in SLI configuration Memory: 1GB Corsair TwinX PC3200 Hard disk drive 1: Caviar SE 200GB S-ATA 150

Keith Sandford.

Guest mc.kar

Check this thread for more background info.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchThe short answer is that I havn't found a shortcut for this somewhat tedious operation that you describe. The only thing that I have come up with is to make a checklist and then do the same process each time. With a little practice it will go faster. But I know that wasnt the answer you were looking for :-)Best regardsMichael Christiansen, Karup - Denmark

Guest tmetzinger

>Also, everytime I re-start FS I have to re-undock the panels,>drag them to the appropriate monitor and then re-size them>everytime which takes up valuable time.>>Does anyone know how to overcome this problem?I found that in my two monitor system if I set up the panel windows the way I want and save the situation, they come back when I reload the saved situation.However, the windows I'm undocking are the FMC and throttles, I can't state what happens with different windows.As for the multi-monitor option, checking it brings up the overhead panel in a window and prevents it from closing other windows when you select the overhead panel.

Thanks for your help guys. Tim, do you save the situation in windowed mode or full screen. Do you stay in windowed mode to fly?

Keith Sandford.

Guest tmetzinger

>Thanks for your help guys. Tim, do you save the situation in>windowed mode or full screen. Do you stay in windowed mode to>fly? I am always in windowed mode - I find that I don't see any appreciable gains on my system (XP Pro, P4 @3.2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 256) when I go to full screen mode.Since I usually have SB3, ActiveSky, and FSAcars running - windowed mode makes more sense for me.I'm gonna try getting an ATI PCI card today and driving a 1024x768 panel to act as my overhead - thanks for your earlier suggestion.-Tim

Guest tmetzinger

>>As for the multi-monitor option, checking it brings up the>overhead panel in a window and prevents it from closing other>windows when you select the overhead panel.Here's a photo of my three-monitor setup. I've got the two big screens driven by an ATI RADEOn 9800 PRO AGP card with 128 MB, and the small panel is driven by an ATI RADEON 7000 32MB PCI card. Adding the second card did not decrease frame rates in any way. and now it's possible to start engines without toggling around to different views.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/115209.jpg

Thats a nice setup! Can you do that with any airplane or just pmdg's?

Guest tmetzinger

>Thats a nice setup! Can you do that with any airplane or just>pmdg's?well you could do it with any airplane that lets you undock the various subpanels.But... I just tried it out and found that adding the second video card caused me stutters. I believe it's due to the overlap in IRQs between the new video card and other things (like the USB chipset).Unfortunately I haven't been able to get rid of the problem - moving the card to a different slot helped a little but not enough to make it worth the effort. So I'm back to two monitors but will try and put the overhead/throttle/FMC on a single monitor.i'll keep the card for my next PC - which will be built from scratch for FlightSim.Best wishes.

Guest Thunderchief

HiI have a three monitor setup similar to you, but I don't suffer from any stutters. I'm wondering if your problem is due to you having two ati cards, I'm running three cards from three different companies, Nvidia, 3dfx and Matrox.The other thing that occours to me, was that I had some perfomance issues when I tried to run my Nvidia FX5950ultra with two monitors, and just using my other 3dfx card for the third monitor. This did not cause stutters exactly, just a general slow down in performance.You might try adding a third card and just use your primary card for one monitor.Could just be an ATI thing though.Hope this helps.Simon.