Sign in to follow this  
mnmon

screen resolution

Just wondering what everyone uses for their screen resolution. I'm using an LCD monitor (17") and have the res. kicked up to the 1280x1024 level. Works fine, with no noticeable hit on the frames. My only complaint is that I use the zoom mode rather than the main view for the 2D cockpit (don't use the VC). I have trouble reading the numbers without the zoom mode. Maybe just my old eyes :-) Not a big deal, just curious as to what others prefer. Mike

Guest frankathl

Hi Mike,AFAIK, you should use the LCD monitor's native resolution for best results. That said, if you are going to use a different resolution, try 1280 x 960. This is because the width : height relation should be 4 : 3 in order to get a correctly proportioned image.By the way, I use 1600 x 1200 on a 19" Dell CRT monitor.BR,Frank

Mike,The good-old 1024x768 res. is the most I can take out of my 5-year-old 15" LCD monitor. Now guess how many times have I been flying using the main panel... I am planning to replace it with a new one, though. I was wondering if I should get a 17" LCD or a 19" (or 21") CRT.Are CRT monitors really that much harder on the eyes than LCD's?Any comments are welcome.Cheers,

Guest TrafficTraffic

1600x1200 on a 20" LCD.Lee Hetherington, PP-ASEL (KBED)

Guest tmetzinger

3200x1200 on a pair of 19" CRTs.Plan is to get three 20" LCDs and put them like so:31 2And have the overhead on 3, the main panel on 1, and the FMC and throttles and SB3/AS2004/etc on 2.I expect that if I drive 1 and 2 from my AGP radeon card I can drive 3 from any decent PCI card, but we'll see.

Tim, I once had 6 screens running smoothly on one machine. OK I was using a parhelia for 3 of them, but I utilised 3x nvidia 32mb PCI cards and they ran fine. Just as long as you don't use them for outside views there is no problem. But like I stated in a recent thread it is a pain undocking panels everytime.

Keith Sandford.

Guest shaheedan

Hai All,Talk about zoom in VC mode, Which zoom is the most close to the real view in aircraft cockpit ?zoom 0.5, 0.75, or 1.0 ?RegardsShaheedan

A 17 inch LCD will give you a razor sharp image, but only if used at it's native resolution, likely 1280x1024.There is no comparison IMHO to a 15 inch CRT..Unlike CRT's, an LCD is a one pixel per pixel display, so any resolution other than the native resolution will look fuzzy. Now, if you have an old system that has trouble providing good frame rates at the higher resolution, you may not like the result.. otherwise, you'll love the upgrade.

Bert

Guest deKoven

Hmmm, I'm using a SyncMaster 192N at native resolution: 1280x1024. I ain't gonna trade it in for anything worse than that. Having used this screen for a year now I don't think I'll ever buy a tube again. :DYMMV, of cuss.

Guest allblack

Interesting thread, not being a technical person, screen resolutions baffled me a bit...I use 1024X768, but not for any good reason. That said, the numbers in the MCP panel certainly improve in their legibility.Though I found it interesting (for want of a less-polite word) that when I adjusted my resolution settings in Brothers In Arms-Road to Hill 30 it had a nasty effect of the visuals in my FS9.Problem went away when I changed the Brothers in Arms settings back to the original (760 X ?).Curiously, upping the screen resoltion in BIA had minimal imapct on the unexciting graphics, and I have a top-end machine.A blurry hedge still looked like a blurry hedge....CheersTim

If you have a top end machine, try 1280x960 (assuming you have a CRT monitor). Again, if you are using an LCD flat panel, use it's native resolution.

Bert

Guest tmetzinger

>Tim, I once had 6 screens running smoothly on one machine. OK>I was using a parhelia for 3 of them, but I utilised 3x nvidia>32mb PCI cards and they ran fine. Just as long as you don't>use them for outside views there is no problem. But like I>stated in a recent thread it is a pain undocking panels>everytime. Well, you were right... I haven't gotten the BIG LCD's I want yet, but did add a second video card, and am driving my overhead panel on it at 1024x768.Here's a shot of the setup:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/115209.jpgThanks for your advice

LCD's are nice but any quick movement will show its refresh rate issues. I went out and purchased a 21" Sony trinitron a few years ago and it is by far one of the best monitors out there. I'd recommend a 19-22" CRT The next step up would be a DVI capable widescreen tv, sometime in the future maybe!