Sign in to follow this  
clayton4115

Reverse Thurst

Can someone plz tell me how to activate reverse thurst on the 737/800 as soon as the wheels touch the ground when landing?thx

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest tmetzinger

>Can someone plz tell me how to activate reverse thurst on the>737/800 as soon as the wheels touch the ground when landing?>>thx>well if you want reverse thurst..... then you need to drink a lot.But if you want reverse thrust, it's not automatic. Just as in any other Jet in Flight simulator, you need to make sure your joystick/throttle is at idle thrust, and then hit the F2 key repeatedly.

hi Timyes but why is this, Tim, is this in real life as well? or is it automatic in real life in your 737?

No, the pilots must pull those longer levers that face forward from the throttles back, same as you would to idle the main throttle. Make sense? I don't believe you're supposed to reverse until the front wheel touches either.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest tmetzinger

>hi Tim>>yes but why is this, Tim, is this in real life as well? or is>it automatic in real life in your 737?>SPOILERS are automatic, provided they were armed and the throttle was at idle.Reversers are not automatic, and if the runway's long enough you may not even need them.

Hi Clayton,You engage reverse thrust by pressing the F2 key. Engage reverse thrust after the nosewheel has settled onto the runway. When the airspeed drops to 80 knots, disengage reverse thrust by pressing the F1 Key. If you use the autobrakes, switch off the autobrakes when the airspeed drops to 60 knots and keep applying the brakes until you slow to taxi speed. Pilots do this in the real world. Ken.

thanks Ken,but am i the only one who find myself needing to be an octopus when i come to land, especially a manual landing both hands are controlling the jstick and i dont have the time or the resources to press keys on the keyboard.

Guest UAL1681

>Hi Clayton,>You engage reverse thrust by pressing the F2 key. Engage>reverse thrust after the nosewheel has settled onto the>runway. When the airspeed drops to 80 knots, disengage reverse>thrust by pressing the F1 Key. If you use the autobrakes,>switch off the autobrakes when the airspeed drops to 60 knots>and keep applying the brakes until you slow to taxi speed.>Pilots do this in the real world. >>Ken. Reverse stays on untill 60 kts, auto brakes go off at 80 kts.

Assign a button on your joystick to reverse thrust then you don't nee to be an octopus.

Guest boxjockey99

Guys Just to clarify a few points:Spoilers are automatic assuming they are armed as Tim says. To be pedantic they are activated by a squat switch on the main gear which when compressed activates the spoiler deployment system.Reverse is not automatic and must be activated manually by pulling back the thrust reverse levers (pressing F2 once the thrust levers are at idle in FS). In the real world the reversers will not deploy unless the thrust levers are at idle for obvious reasons and the forward thrust is balked until the reversers are stowed correctly. If you wish to get the reversers out promptly in the real aircraft we can actually deploy the reversers once the Rad alt is less than 10ft. So in theory we can deploy them in flight. I have yet to try this out but Mr. Boeing says it is so on the -3/4/500 anyway. The correct procedure for use of reverse is as follows:1) Deploy at touch down to either reverse idle, detent 1 (standard reverse (about 70%N1) or detent 2 (full reverse around 95% N1) as runway conditions demand. ie short runway demands more reverse or perhaps the airfield is noise sensitive and allows idle reverse only!2) passing 80kt the reversers should be moved back to idle in order to allow the engines to spool back to idle by 60kts ready for being stowed. NEVER stow the reversers before they are at idle or you'll get a big forward thrust when the doors close and negate the braking you just improved by putting the reversers out in the first place. Not to mention the damage you'll cause to the reverser doors etc when they are in transit!3) Autobrake has no magic number that it must be disconnected at. If you leave it on it will simply bring you to a halt at the selected decelleration rate. You can go to manual braking by either stowing the spoilers, manually braking or by turning the switch to off. One thing that many people don't know is that the SPoilers are automatic on the take off roll even though they aren't armed. This is because the selection of reverse thrust pushes the spoiler lever into the armed position and so as the squat switch is depressed the spoilers will deploy. Not sure if the guys at PMDG modelled some of this though so don't immidiately expect all of this to work as i have outlined. The only thing about reverse that I find annoying on the PMDG 737 is that you cannot get much above 60%N1 which is not realistic, a normal arrival into my home base often dictates 80% or more just to lower the braking effort required thus allowing a short turnaround without worrying about brake cooling schedules!Hope that helpsKris

ok thanksso another Q then,if the Autobrakes are armed to say number 2, then when i land the plane should come to a stop automatically is that correct?then why the need for spoiler deployment and reverse thrust?:-badteeth

Guest boxjockey99

ClaytonThere are a variety of reasons for the spoilers and reversers. Spoilers (when in the ground detend) litterally spoil the air over the wing thus the weight of the aircraft must be borne totally by the wheels rather than the wing. this effectively sticks the aircraft to the runway and causes the tyres to bite the tarmac better. Without the spoilers the wheels wouldn't stick and would simply skid along the runway without spinning up and biting. Also the braking would simply cause the tyres to lock up and so you wouldn't get much braking at all! To understand why we have reverse you must first understand what Autobrake actually does. Wen you set the knob to one of the settings 1 - MAX you are actually telling the braking system to brake at a predetermined decelleration rate for example Autobrake 1 might be 5M per sec, 2 might be 10M per sec etc. SO if the braking system detents that it is not decellerating fast enough it will apply more brake pressure and vice versa if it is decellerating too quickly. SO now conider that we add the decelleration provided by the reverse thrust and you will see that we will be decellerating much more quickly than with brakes alone. The system detects this increase in decelleration and backs off the brakes to meet the commanded decelleration rate. The net result is that you still stop in the desired amount of runway but you use the brakes less thus extending their life and costing the company less in brake pads! Hope that helps, please feel free to ask more questions if you don't understand my drivel!Kris

Tim,I understood that the use of reverse thrust was preferential to brakes and that brakes are applied by the captain 'as and when' assuming the runway is long enough?---------------------------------------------------------------Right, should I do another quick lap of the old Nurburgring circuit with 'GT4' or go flying?Dave T.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Thanks Kris for your valued , experienced input.More please? :-))--------------------------------------------------------------Right, should I do another quick lap of the old Nurburgring circuit with 'GT4' or go flying?Dave T.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest tmetzinger

>Tim,>>I understood that the use of reverse thrust was preferential>to brakes and that brakes are applied by the captain 'as and>when' assuming the runway is long enough?>>--------------------------------------------------------------->>Right, should I do another quick lap of the old Nurburgring>circuit with 'GT4' or go flying?>>Dave T.Correct, as you do want to save on brake wear. But if you're landing on a LOOONG runway (say one of the 11000+ ft jobs), you may find that you want to exit at the far end, and can accomplish that with mild braking.My point was that in some cases reversers aren't needed, and I expect that there's a document somewhere in the emergency procedures about runway length limitations when reversers are INOP.