Sign in to follow this  
Guest rubberball

Info if possible please.

Guest rubberball

Hello I would like some info if you may please..After great takeoff and a smooth cruise i was asked to drop from FL330 to FL190 but when i dialled in 19000 on the ALT Window and pressed Flight level change the plane did not start to descend....i could not even press the ALT button to see if that would make it start to descend..one thing i did which i have never done before when i was in cruise(i was getting to a quiet point of the flight and i was kinda bored)i played around with the DES window in the FMC (which i am not fully confident with just yet but im kinda getting there) and i changed something like the PATH and then SPEED...Then pressed FTA (i think that is what it was)?? I think this may have had a factor in what happended to me but it ruined my final part of a long flight...i had to hand fly it down to the runway and overshot it by yards!The questions i have are ...1. Is there anything i pressed in the FMC that could have changed something to make it behave like this.2. How do i use the VNAV Correctly (in easy to understand terms im no real pilot here)i do reprogram the levels and spd settings in the LEGS page But im not to sure how to correctly work out how to plan the levels and each way point..i think i may do the first at say 1000tf and then the second at 5000 feet and then 19000ft is this the reason why VNAV dosnt work for me because it cant get to the levels i want it to?3.How do i use the N1 engine setting correctly? which do i choose or does it depend on what temp/weather it is etc?But one thing i have to say and that is this plane is the BEST!Kind Regards Paul Teasdale

Guest Icike

Man, you have a long signature.. :)First of all let me advise you to read the manual carefully as all the questions you have asked are answered in it.Second, if you change the alt in the MCP change it in the FMC as well, and hit execute. This will result in the descent you wanted. Although I only use VNAV descent. Many have problems using it, but really all you have to do is plan it well with alt/wind info and dest. temperatures.Hope it helps,Cheers,

Guest rubberball

Many Thanks for the info about changing the decsent level in the FMC too.I read the manual but if im honest i just cant wait to get the big bird up in the air and fly.But i will read it again.As always Regards and many thnks for your help ...Paul.

Geez,Sorry, I used a different login name last time (icike) without any signatures.Paul, I know there is a very good tutorial out there for the PMDG 737NG. Try to search for it, I believe it was made by Timothy Metzinger, and it is called something like advanced operations tutorial. If you go through, you will have most of your questions answered while learning. I think this is the fastest way to get you up in the skies. ;)Cheers,