Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Windh

STRANGE BEHAVIOR ON SHORT FINAL

I am not sure about the trim wheel, but I have a few other comments concerning the picture.First why did you turn off the FD? Next concerning the localizer being off center it looks like an FS alignment issue. The VOR/LOC and APP lights are showing correctly. Not seeing the glide slope so something is not right. Just checking, are you sure you have the correct frequency? Have you checked the approach with one of the default FS aircraft? Have you recently added any scenery in the area? Another picture in APP mode could be helpful.Your airspeed looks a little low; I would suggest at least VREF+5 at this point of the approach. You have an FMC caution. Is the FMC setup for arrival? Why isn't your auto brake set (there is an X drawn over the control)? I realize 2,400m is plenty of room, but a setting of 1 or 2 would be helpful.Looks like you also have a master caution light on (maybe hydraulics

Johan,I see you are using AS4.5. With that in mind I'd bet that you encountered wake turbulence. Which could be nasty even in the real world I've heard.

A) Your autopilot is "off":( You are still in Map mode (this happened to me until I RTFM) must be in VOR Mode and both Autopilots engaged - this requires both radios to be tuned to the ILS frequency.C) You should be in "APP" mode.

Guest cplasch

AH HA!!!!My autopilot did EXACTLY the same thing last night for the first time. It NEVER did that before I bought and installed AS 4.5- As a matter of fact, I noticed that when I closed FS, there was a message on the bottom of AS 4.5 saying "wake turbulence event completed". Boy do I feel better now. That really gave me a "jolt" last night! :)

Guest allblack

Interesting thread.Johan, don't get too upset about your setting's being "picked" on - other readers can find the comments quite interesting ;)I agree with your comment about a walkthrough for the FMC - it's tough to get your head around. A question I have is why I get more than one option for selecting my runway on the LSK e.g. Ive been told to land on 16L, and I bring up the Arrivals page and I see:16LILS16L16L is 16L - why two options on the FMC? Anyway, I digress...On this subject, when descending through about 16000 I always get a Caution message that tells me there's an issue with the Air Conditioning....be grateful if someone can tell me why this Caution shows, and how I fix it.CheersTim

Guest tmetzinger

>Interesting thread.>>Johan, don't get too upset about your setting's being "picked">on - other readers can find the comments quite interesting ;)>I agree with your comment about a walkthrough for the FMC ->it's tough to get your head around. A question I have is why I>get more than one option for selecting my runway on the LSK>e.g. Ive been told to land on 16L, and I bring up the Arrivals>page and I see:>>16L>ILS16L>>16L is 16L - why two options on the FMC? Anyway, I digress...>>On this subject, when descending through about 16000 I always>get a Caution message that tells me there's an issue with the>Air Conditioning....be grateful if someone can tell me why>this Caution shows, and how I fix it.>>Cheers>TimThe reason you see multiple entries is that there are multiple instrument approaches to 16L. Selecting 16L just defines the runway as the final waypoint, while selecting ILS 16L will load all the waypoints for the ILS approach and missed approach procedure.The caution you are getting is probably an off-schedule descent light, commonly caused by not setting the cruise altitude on the pressurization panel to match your final cruise altitude.

Guest allblack

Hi Tim,Didn't know that - thanks!Final cruise altitude? I've recently started twidling a setting that shows height on the bottom-right of the overhead panel. No idea what it's for, but I figured it probably should be whatever my cruise altutude was going to be. Gotta love accuracy with details huh ; )Anyway...what do I set this to after I've reached my cruise altitude and start descending? Given my final altitude will be whatever height the airport is above sea level, is that what I use? And how does this affect the air-con???Gee, that sounds like a dumb question, but I'm sure you'll see what I'm getting at.Bit lost by what you mean "off-schedule"???CheersTim

Basically, set your cruise height and landing altitude on that panel during your pre-flight. Changes can be made in-flight if you get a new cruise altitude for whatever reason, otherwise you don't need to touch it again.If you start your descent early without telling the FMC that you will be descending, the cabin pressurization system gets crabby it seems. It probably models something in real life, but I have no real idea what. Someone else can do a better job explaining I am sure.-stefan

Ok guys. I also got that air cond. warning when performing a testflight to see if the "trim problem" remained. Because my cruise alt. was still set on the pressure of 37.000ft and my testflight just went up to about 4000ft. And now I understand why. Thanx. B.t.w. No trim problems on the test flight or my returning flight to EKCH. I guess it was just bad luck that the wake turbulence happaned two times in a row.. :) But there was h*lluva "common" turbulence on final descent. ;)