Sign in to follow this  

Microsoft FS2002 Scenery SDK-What could it possible do

Solve the "blurry" texture issues?Help us create enhanced sceneries?Manipulate runways (lengthy/width)?What could it potentially do?Tim

Hard to say what we can expect from it, although I doubt it will help those that have complained about blurry textures, as that's not the purpose of a SDK. But why wait? Currently, using FS2000's SDK we can in FS2002:-Create photoreal scenery and/or import scenery made w/Terrascene-Create highly detailed mesh-Reassign textures and Autogen (turn farmland into city, city into suburbs, etc...) using the Terrain SDK, and third party tools like FSLandclass and my own Landclass Assistant.-Assign custom textures to specific regions, again using features and tools included with FS2000's Terrain SDK.The methods used for photoreal scenery and texture reassignment were included in FS2000's Terrain SDK, but didn't work under FS2000--only under FS2002. This was in part due to an extensive lobbying effort by some of the scenery community, which tirelessly worked to convince Microsoft to implement some new features in FS2002. The result? Download Matt Fox's California scenery, and you can see what the "old" Terrain SDK has made possible in the "new" FS2002.What should we hope for in a newer SDK?-Information on how to add roads, rivers, shorelines, etc using the new FS2002 methods... And inclusion of tools to accomplish these tasks.-Updated information on airport scenery design.-Full documentation on all the methods we're currently exploiting to pull off some of the scenery "tricks" I mention above.Can't think of much I left out...-JohnShoot--did leave something out... As for blurry textures, these shots are typical of my experience in FS2002.... I find nothing wrong with them..... Here's the link in the screenshots forum:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID47

Guest PaulL01

>Solve the "blurry" texture issues? SDK will have nothing at all to do with this, you simply need more power and/or turn detail down, one of the most effective ways to do this would be to turn mesh detail down near %87.>Help us create enhanced sceneries? Yes, and just to add to John C's comments if we get the "rest" of the SDK we can look forward to adding better river, road and coastline data to our scenery. MS! MS! MS! MS! HINT!!! :)

Guest GabrielR

You said the words: "roads" and "rivers"That would really enhance the experience.By the way how about using the animated roads of FS2000 in FS 2002, is that possible?If that was already accomplished, can somebody include a little tutorial on that?

iT's A cRaZy sItUatIoN!X-Plane has WorldMaker allowing the editing of Roads and rivers and elevation points but lacks an object maker. The only one available is for the Mac. There exists a basic 68000 emulator which may work but I've yet to attempt that.So, mentioned earlier was a request for tools.Well, I'd like a tool with a GUI similar to WorldMaker.I'd like to edit current roads and rivers and add rivers that are missing. Most peculiar is the river Irwell on the Manchester/Salford border. One only wonders what data MS used for the UK. In fact, I want to know! Tell me MS!

Guest cwright

>By the way how about using the animated roads of FS2000 in >FS 2002, is that possible? Yes, FS2002 still supports roads with animated lights. I use Airport 2.60 and the roads generated by it can be animated. The drawback is that, to my eyes at least, the FS2000-style polygon roads look terrible in day-time. Maybe in FS2004 the current texture roads could have animated lighting. Best regards, Chris

In Ross county, Ohio (USA) I have highway intersections in the middle of the Scioto river. "As real as it gets"??? Bah, humbug!