Sign in to follow this  
Guest timsc

Taxi break away at idle throttle 737

Guest timsc

Hello all,I am using the 737-800/900 PMDG software on MSFS 2004. I am interested in the taxi behaviour when the aircraft is at idle throttle.I am told that in a real aircraft:1) The 737 will break away and begin taxi at idle throttle (this may depend on the payload/fuel weight).2) The 737 will maintain taxi speed (assume approx 20 knots) with idle throttle.Reference: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=77326&page=I am seeing in the simulator:1) Idle throttle is about 20.3% N1. (This is fine.)2) Break away throttle is about 22-23% (regardless of weight) then it accelerates. The rate of acceleration is weight dependent.Has anyone found a configuration where idle throttle (20.3% N1) starts the aircraft forward?Also I have played with the load manager without much luck.Thanks,Tim

Guest merlin737

Hi Tim,I noticed the same and had spoken to a friend who flies the 737-700, the real aircraft will start to roll in ground idle.Aidan

Guest E.W.

HI,If you have AirEd Version 1.51 Copyright

Hi Erik,My question is that will changing this setting also affect the higher thrust settings? What I mean is that does changing this setting just affect the lower thrust at taxi or does it affect the entire range of the thrust settings? Ken.

Guest E.W.

It only changes the thrust setting at 20% N1.That's why they call it: Turbine Thrust Factor vs N1.In the colums you find the N1. So you have to change the number below 20.00000.GreatzErik

Guest timsc

Hello all,Now I am really confused. I was lucky enough to have a 2 hour session using a 737 training simulator. (Full motion, 180 degree view, full controls - nice.) One thing I specifically asked the 737 pilots is if the aircraft moves with idle throttle. They told me that the aircraft requires more than idle thrust to taxi. This was certainly true with their training simulator. (The aircraft was configured to be 50000kg gross weight.)This seems to contradict what a few other pilots have told me and the last post.Any ideas why some pilots say idle thrust is enough to start taxi roll?Tim

Tim,The very very light 737-700 may start to creep forward and build taxi speed but I don't believe it will maintain 20 knots with idle thrust. A mid range to heavy 737-700 airplane will not move and will not maintain 20 knots at idle thrust. Good luck.Floyd