Sign in to follow this  
jay907uk

Website for Live Weather / Airport runways being used

Hi,Does anybody know a website that I can get live weather for airports and also a website for what runways airports are using but again live information pleaseThanksJason Thompson

Jason Thompson

Hi Jason,You can use the FS2004 live weather update that updates every 15 minutes, if you select that under the Weather menue. The runway that you would use would be the runway that's the closest into the wind. For example, Birmingham International or KBHM have runways 6, 24, 18, and 36. Runways 6 and 24 is the same runway but in opposite directions. The same is true for 18 and 36. If the winds are at 350 @ 10 knots, the runways in use will be runways 6 and 36. There may be a site where you can get live information but I don't know of one right now. I do know there are sites where you can go and track your flights. Ken.

Jason,Here's a good site for worldwide METARs,http://adds.aviationweather.gov/metars/Don't be fooled by the picture of the US. It is valid for every ICAO code in the world that reports METARs. Supports both raw data and layman translations.You already got a good explanantion on runways. You use the runways that goes into the wind. If the wind speed is very low and/or variable you may use any runway.Hope it helps,

Guest dt1951

If you fly online, Servinfo is an excellent source. It is a very information rich program. It provides weather data, as well as a ton of other data.Dan Ward

Agree on Servinfo, wouldn't want to live without it when flying online which I do 99% of the time.

Richard Åsberg

Guest zip

I just wanted to add this:Runways in use is up to the control tower based on various factors, weather and traffic being the most important two, type of aircraft being another. Certainly, the goal is for you to land or take-off into the wind. The other factors only come into play if you fly online with a staffed position. The built-in runway selection in FS using its AI implementation is very basic. There is a known problem with FS and external weather add-ons in that the built-in ATC doesn't handle wind changes very well.