Sign in to follow this  
Guest zanadu6365

FS9 problems *sigh*

Guest zanadu6365

Ok, I need some help.I had posted this message in another forum,"When I am in 2d mode my panels flicker black ever 5-10 seconds or so.At first I thought it was just my PMDG stuff, but then I loaded default as well as other freeware planes, and they are all doing the same thing, if I am in the VC everything is ok, same with spot and tower views. But when in 2D panel view it flickers.I have a P4 3 gig1.5 gig ramNvidia G-Force Fx5900 VE at 256MBDrives are all up to date (Forceware 71.89)Direct X 9.0CI am just baffled. I am going to be upset if I have to reformat my PC. Well at least I have 2 HDD's that I have for backup.If anyone thinks they can help me trouble shot I would be gratfull.Also I noticed that before I took off my brake message, the message background wasn't red, but clear. I could still read the message.just no red background for the message. so far it only appers to be FS9. and it only does it in full screen mode."Ok, so someone replyed told me to turn off texture to render or somthing like that, I did still didn't happen.Another thing I have noticed is that the simulator does not save anything I tell it to, for example, I turn on AI, 100%. It does, but if I turn off the game, then restart, I have to do it all over again.The only addons I have installed are Active Camera, and the PMDG line. I also have active sky 2004.5 installed.I had reinstalled my game but no go. it is still doing it.the only other option that I know of is to format my hard drive and format the harddrive that my sim runs off of (I have 3 HDD's), but I really don't want to do that.Thanks for any help

Hi Dave,I have a similar problem but mine goes black instead of flickering and it dose it when I load the PMDG 737NG. I haven't tried it with the default aircrafts. It does this just on ocassions. When the panel comes up on my screen, all of a sudden, everything goes black and locks up. Then I get an error message saying the there was a problem with FS9 and needs to close, but that doesn't tell me what the error is. One time it done this, I got a message, after rebooting the computer, and said I need to update my video display driver. But I've notice it looks like you have the lastest. I do need to update my Nvidia driver because it's two years old. So this will be the next thing I will do. If it continues, I'll re-install FS9. I think you mentioned that you've already re-installed FS9, so in your case, I'm not sure what is causing your display to flicker. If you haven't re-installed FS9, do that first. I really don't think you'll need to re-format the hard drive, but at least you'll have a clean installation if you do. Since you have two hard drives, install the flight simulator onto the other hard drive and find out if it continues to flicker. If it does, then most likely it's not the hard drive. Then you can just uninstall the simulator when you're finsihed troubleshooting it.Ken.

Guest Philip Olson

David, Sadly I have very little time right now but I will give you something to try now and when I get back home I'll try to assist you further. Have you tried to change your video driver since this started to happen? The latest video driver is not always the best one so you might want to try an older driver to see if this fixes your problem. One other thing that you might want to look at is if your video card is getting too hot. Before starting FS9 right click on the desktop, click properies, click settings, then advanced, click the GeForceFX5900 tab, then a little box should open to the side of that "window", click on the temperature settings entry and what should be displayed is your temperature information. At this point start FS9, leaving that temperature window open, and fly around for a bit, let the video card warm up a bit and then hit alt-tab to see what temperature you are running at. If it seems a little high open up your case and check that the card and fan does not have dust on it and make sure that the fan is working correctly. While you are in there also check all of your other fans and air supply holes to make sure that everything is clean. More than likely heat is not the issue but it does not hurt to check. There is a good chance that a different driver could help you with your problem. Oh, one other thing you might try is lowering or trying a different setting for your anisotropic filtering, a few times I have noticed some strange things happen with just the right anti-aliasing and anisotropic settings, so play with those a bit. I hope that this will help you, please post your results and I will help you more later when I get back.Good luck!Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest zanadu6365

Ok, thanks for the info.I don't have an option for tempature.As for my fans, all 6 off them are dust free and working good,Also the fan on the card is runing good as well.I may try your sudgestion and revert back to a older driver set.As for Anti Aliasing and what not I have that option turned off.The game runs so much smoother with it off then with it on.As I have said before it only does it in full screen mode, the panel flickering, also it is just the pannel, not the whole screen.And every pannel does it. if I am in ano other view, VC, Spot, Tower ect, it runs normal (while in full screen mode) but if I am in the 2D cockpit view the panel flickers. it is totaly find in windowed mode. also I have noticed that the pause message, atc window ect ect has no red background on them as well.It's not a huge problem, but it is one of those little problems where it just bugs ya!Oh yea I don't have the patch installed either.Would that cause a problem?

Guest Philip Olson

David, Just to make sure, do you have Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering turned off in your video card settings as well as in FS9? What I was talking about is the setting for the video card, if you do have it off just try turning on the Anisotropic filtering at either 2x or 4x just to see if that helps. You might try playing with some of the other settings as well, it is easy and changing it back is no problem at all. I am surprised that you do not have a temperature option for your card. I have a GeForce FX5900XT video card and I have a temperature settings page, in fact I am pretty sure that all GeForce cards have a temperature setting page. When you click on your GeForce FX5900 tab what do you see? Does a seperate small window open to the left of the normal contents of the page? If not look for a small green bar located in the middle, left side of the "page" once you open up the GeForce 5900 tab, click on that green bar and it will open up an additional page where you will find the temperature and other settings. Let me know if this works out. If not could you send me a screen shot once you open up the GeForce tab? You can just email it to me at polson(at)neo.rr.com. Replace the "at" with the proper character in my email address, trying to avoid a spider getting my email address. I will do a little redearch tonight and see what I can come up with in case the other things that I have told you to try don't work.Good luck,Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg