Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stanner1953

737NG Descent Problem with Plans from FSBuild/FS Comman...

Guest Stanner1953

I use FS Build or Flight Sim Commander to build flight plans for 737NG.These plans both have the same problem. When I load them into the 737FMC the point of descent (TD), is too close to the arrival airport.I then have to override the flight plan, and begin a very sharp descent, so that I am forced to use airbrakes to reduce excessive speeds because of the sharp descent vertical speed (feet per minute) required.Does anyone have the same problem with flight plans created by FS Build or FS Commander?Any suggested solution"ThanksStanner

Guest glenb

Stanner,Steep and high speed descents have been discussed on this forum many times. I found that using a high cost value creates the situation you mention. I was using 100 to 500 and the descents were too steep. It worked much better using 13. Also having an altitude constraint on the legs page such as

Guest Stanner1953

GlenThank you for the reply. It is my understanding that the COST factor in 737NG 600/700 is not operative. It has no affect on the calculations. Are you referring to the PMDG 737-800 model?I have not been using the "at or above" constraint.This problem only happens with FS Build or FS Commander. When I enter a route, I calculate the point of descent at 3X the altitude,e.g., 30,000 ft = 90 miles begin point of descent. I never had a problem with excess speed on descent.It seems to me that these programs are calculating the descent point (TD) too close to the destination airport.In fact when I fly the same route created by these programs, and use the ATC, I find that the ATC begins descent instructions much earlier than the TD calculated by the programs.StannerStanner

Guest frankathl

Hi Stanner,While COST INDEX was inoperative on the original 600/700 aircraft, if you own the 800/900 series, you can update the 600/700 so that COST INDEX works.(Incidentally, the same applies to AT OR ABOVE and AT OR BELOW altitude constraints).BR,Frank

Guest glenb

Stanner,I don