Sign in to follow this  
flightsimmer747

imagine yourself on the 747 that we will fly soon.........

what do you guys do during a long flight like this any ideas? Hopefully i can complete the flight but i have this weird feeling ill sleep and land when i wake up lol. The girlfriend will ask what the #### im doing.... I'm already starting to plan which flight i will do first. This thread is just for fun if you want to share your ideas or flights this is the place.Happy flying until then just fly the 737 to the connecting airport where you will take up the 747. :)

Guest aarskringspier

I have my setup in my living room. I can turn around and talk to the wife or turn to the right and watch a movie, Ive flown a few 10+ hour flights. I surf on one PC watch a movie, eat....generally be really lazy.

Guest Marc Harrington

For a very long flight, I take off in the evening and then go to bed... in the morning, I carry out the approach and landing. So you can pretend to be one of the four pilots spending time in the crew rest area.However, you might have to set your alarm for the middle of the night to carry out some very important fuel tank management during the flight. It's just not as easy as taking off and letting the plane fly itself for 10 hours anymore. :)Cheers!

Guest _sebastian_

>what do you guys do during a long flight like this any ideas?LNAV/VNAV - TOC: Monitoring.TOC - TOD: Go to work, eat lunch, do the groceries, shop a little.TOD - 11000 ft.: Monitoring.11000 - 10200 ft.: Considering whether to use LNAV or LVL CHG. Decide to use LVL CHG.10200 - STAR altitudes/speed: If no spoiler deployment is necessary, I consider my timing with LVL CHG a succes :-)Final: Gear down, considering whether to use full autoland or just A/T. Decides for full autoland.Minimums: Change my mind and push Z. Disconnect A/T. Will my flare be perfect this time? I'll give it a go.Flare: Not pretty, but I'll get there some day. Decide to plan the return flight immediately. Maybe I'll do some touch and gos in between. Yeah, that's it. Before the aircraft stops I turn it around for another go. Hey, I wonder what happens if I push the G/A button just before touchdown. Let me see...Inbound leg:Without releasing the passengers I do the same as above, but this time my flare will be perfect I think. No? Dang. Hmm... maybe I should try a manual into Kai Tak. Cathay did it all the time you know. Now what was it that G/A button did the last time? What will it do if I disconnect the A/T first? Let me see...And so the story goes until one final day the angst driven passengers find that their seemingly deranged captain lets them disembark. Many, many days of terror come to a sudden stop. What happened? He landed beautifully and the aircraft performed smoothly. All of a sudden the captain flies like a boy scout. Has he found inner peace? No. Not really. He just connected to VATSIM and feels confident that the dame does exactly what she's told. "Let the controllers do their worst", he thinks to himself. "Hey, that was a good landing! I wonder if I can see it in replay while I'm still connected. Let me see..."/sebastian

Read, do laundry, sit and watch the beautiful scenery. I always have the ATC monitoring me, so I can't be away for very long, otherwise they cancel my IFR plan and get ###### at me if I don't respond. Can't wait for the 744, I will be doing mainly hops around the USA but I forsee a few USA-Australia/Japan/Middle East/Europe and back flights. Can't wait!

Same here guys like you say get stuff done and most of all the save feature can come in handy for those rushed days.I wonder if its an auto save or we have to save every now and then just in case of those fs9 crashes to desktop...

Hi,If you don`t have time for a long one,we do a Barbados-Antigua-Barbados shuttle on what used to be our day off in Barbados.(LGW-BGI 2 nights-LGW)It takes about 50mins flight time each way,and with the light pax and fuel load it goes like a rocket!! Cruise levels about FL280 with <10 mins in level flight before its time to go down again!I`ve got one at the end of the month,I`ll try and nick a flight plan to give you some realistic figures to work on.I doubt I`ll be doing any long simulated flights,just short hops with plenty of failures.Luckily my girlfreind is one of our purses so its quite realistic when she brings me a cup of tea;-) and she`s been trained not to engage me in pointless conversation when I`am "at the controls"Best wishesJon B

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Guest Callmecapt

Sit there for the entire flight with occassional restroom breaks and a meal here and there.I always prepare for these flights and have already done the ITVV flight in another 747 while sitting at the computer for the day. But I used the 747-200 made by another company. Believe it or not, I get flying withdrawal symptoms when I finish the flight. Spent so much time planning and then doing the flight and then it all comes to an end. Try it once and you'll see what I mean. Definitely not the same as setting up the flight and establishing the cruise then going away for 8 or 9 hours then coming back. Goran

Guest glenb

>If you don`t have time for a long one,we do a>Barbados-Antigua-Barbados shuttle on what used to be our day>off in Barbados.(LGW-BGI 2 nights-LGW)Jon BSounds like a tough one. Maybe we should ride along and help. :-)In my dreams, right?

Unfourtunatly my V/A requires I send a position report every hour otherwise my hours are not recorded.Going to have alot of sleepless nights!!

I just don't do anything over 2-3hours. It spoils the illusion for me to let the AP run the whole thing for 6 hours while I'm off mowing the lawn. I've never done NY-LA in one flight, but instead hop my way across the country. I spend about 35-45 minutes in pre-flight, so by the time I'm done with a 2 hour actual flight time, a good chick of day is gone, but very pleasantly spent. The 747 is going to present me with some difficulty as I also like to go on real routes. I may have to stretch my realism requirements to taking 747 between some of larger US cities. Mike

Being 16 and having no job or anything, i sit in front of the PC the entire time, and monitor the systems. just 2 weeks ago i did KORD-EPWA in the LD767, about 9 hours and 15 minutes. and with the PMDG747, the first flight will most likely be either KORD-RJAA or KORD-EDDFAdam

Guest Diego Martinez

Well Well Well...this is a great topic....It will give the little push to finally get my divorce....shall I marry the Queen? most likelyD

You can recreate the first leg of the Asiana Airlines Cargo flight, they take a 744 from KLAX to KSFO on its way to Asia.