Sign in to follow this  
Guest jase439

Yet Another Spoiler Auto-Deployment Post

Guest jase439

After spending some time perusing the "latest news" about auto-deployment of the spoilers, I decided I would try and consolidate this information and compare it with what I've experienced in practice - in the event someone else comes along and reads this thread. Maybe this will prove useful to someone - maybe not. Your mileage may vary, but this was my experience:The PMDG '37 has modelled a micro-controller that overrides the default FS spoiler mechanics. My understanding is that this is to provide correct rejected takeoff logic to the spoilers. Unfortunately, this controller appears to be hyper sensitive to just about everything from slightly uncalibrated throttles, the very slightest of burbles in throttle movement, to small hops that may occur during an auto-landing, to possibly small drops of dew on the airfoil, and what not. I may be wrong on this, but it appears that this micro-controller logic appears to be activated in response to arming the spoilers for auto-deployment *and* you are configured for an auto-land (arming the spoilers and landing w/o the autopilot appears to do nothing at all).The spoilers of course must be "armed" using the mouse w/ this aircraft (don't try the SHIFT+/ thing in the air). All of the following assumes you have calibrated your throttles and are landing with true "IDLE" power (whatever that is) on touch down.If landing manually w/ no autopilot w/ spoilers ARMED:ALL MODELS (600/700/800/900): spoilers will never deploy on touchdown, except manually on the ground by pressing the / key.If landing manually w/ no autopilot w/ spoilers UNARMED:ALL MODELS (600/700/800/900): spoilers will not deploy on touchdown, but will deploy with application of reverse thrust, and automatically restow themselves with forward throttle movement (classic FS behavior).If auto-landing w/ spoilers ARMED:600/700: will *usually* deploy on touchdown w/ IDLE power and properly configured aircraft unless there's a pretty significant hop or movement in the throttles (this is about as close to the "by design" implementation as I've experienced). I'd say this works about 60-75% of the time for me.800/900: will *almost never* deploy on touchdown; the bigger aircraft tend to take a very slight hop on touch down w/ the autoland...but this hop appears to be "too much" for the controller logic - if you watch closely, you can see the spoilers starting to come up, but they are almost always immediately retracted as soon as the aircraft makes the slightest little vertical skip. If auto-landing w/ spoilers UNARMED:ALL MODELS (600/700/800/900): spoilers will not deploy on touchdown, but will deploy with application of reverse thrust, and automatically restow themselves with forward throttle movement (classic FS behavior).The upshot: don't arm the spoilers - just say no to spoiler arming and you'll get predictable results everytime. Someone else recommended this (and I apologize for not remembering your name) - and I can comfortable assert: it's a sound recommendation. Granted, you lose the rejected takeoff logic, but unfortunately, every landing looks like a rejected takeoff - especially in the 800/900 :) Look on the bright side, it's one less thing you have to remember on your approach checklist!J

Guest Knikolaes

I am unsure if this will help, but after reading this colum I tried all the procedures and different types of landings above . . . . For some reason on my computer arming with the keyboard shortcut DOES work properly as described in your procedures above. The spoilers acted their different roles precisely as was supposed to happen in each situation.**shrugs**Maybe it's just my computer though. Just thought I'd toss that in in case anyone wanted the input.<> To correct horrible spelling on my part.

Guest neeraj.pendse

Thanks for that post. I have been using the 600/700 for a long time and purchased the -800 last week. Spoiler behaviour was one of the things I was getting confused with. And I did notice that 600/700 spoilers do autodepoly but 800/900 do not ...One addition: if I deploy spoilers in the air, I CAN NOT retract them by the "/" command. I can "ARM" them back with SHIFT+/. I do not know why that is ...- NeerajPS: I am looking forward to the 747, none of the little problems on the 737 bother me, over all it is an amazing experience. I would much rather have the PMDG gurus concentrating on the 747 early release :-p

Guest jase439

I can't retract them in the air either, Neeraj - just toggle them between deployed and armed.I don't know what the difference is between the 600/700 and the 800/900 - as I'm sure they're probably using the same controller logic (but perhaps I'm wrong here?). The only thing I can think of is that maybe this micro-controller is sampling displacement changes in the CG or angle of attack, which varies between the different aircraft? All I know is that the 600/700 works fairly consistently, but the 800/900 does not.My poor brain can't keep track of the custom spoiler keyboard commands whose function varies depending on whether you're on the ground, or in the air, whether I need to use the keyboard or use the mouse, and then try to figure out whether my aircraft and landing configuration is such that I'm going to get deployment of the spoilers or not. In concept, this system was a nice idea. In practice it's very awkward and non-intuitive (and unpredictable). I would be surprised if this problem has not been revisited for the 747.I prefer the consistency of simply not arming the spoilers at all and knowing that application of reverse thrust will deploy them, and subsequent advancement of the throttles will stow them - every time, all the time.

Guest Knikolaes

Aye agreed. If you "Arm" them they retract. That has to do with the complexity of the model somehow, but at least it works **smiles**

Guest jase439

How did you arm the spoilers with the keyboard? As far as I know, you have to use the mouse to manually move the spoilers into the armed position?

Guest Knikolaes

>How did you arm the spoilers with the keyboard? As far as I>know, you have to use the mouse to manually move the spoilers>into the armed position?I just used the default Shift + /.It works on my machine. The reason why it may not work for the original poster is possible hardware in computer? **shrugs** It can happen. I have a friend who has the EXACT same add-ons I have on my computer, but for some reason his sim reacts differently to stuff. I thought maybe it was him, but I went to his place and flew some of his AC that I have on my machine as well . . . . . he was right. Seemed like different stuff such as shortcut keys and such were off.**shrugs** Technology. I miss the days when we just picked up clubs and whacked our food and drug it back to the cave.Which reminds me . . I need to write my family a letter . . . . .