Sign in to follow this  
Guest kevinglave

Collaborating FMC with FS9 ATC

Guest kevinglave

Everytime i plan a flight ATC is always giving some lame directions. I have tried several things, putting all the intersections and waypoints in the FS9 flight planner and putting the altitudes from FS9 into the FMC but still I get different directions on what to do. I seems to me that FS9 does not use SIDs or STARs. Has anyone been able to collaborate both. Thanks

Guest forever_49ers

No name,FS-ATC will always vector you to the runway no matter what you have programmed your FMC with. Either follow directions of the FS-ATC or switch off the FS-ATC and fly your own FMC route with SID/STARS. Steve

Guest kevinglave

Thank you SteveI will work on the name later. If what you are saying is true then I feel cheated, if this is as real as it gets then its not very real. I was hoping to fly my plan in the FMC and still have ATC. ThanksKevin

Kevin,Not even in real life can you expect the FMC and ATC to colaborate. Ask any pilot who frequents here. The FMC and ATC are to entities totally unaware of what information the other one is holding. :-)And it doesn't help that the default FS ATC is staffed by airheads! If you want to experience real ATC you should try to fly online on VATSIM www.vatsim.net or IVAO.Hope it helps,

Guest Knikolaes

There IS one small workaround if you want to practice approaches with the FMC while using ATC. . . . .Dont use VNAV here, use FL Change and manage altitudes manually . . . . And request a GPS approach from the controller using RNAV charts for the airport you are going to. Request the transition and such that you desire and when you receive clearance toss the waypoints into your FMC and you'll have an approach that is actually realistically possible in real life.Though i must add you will NEVER find an airliner performing an RNAV approach. Only GA aircraft eem to do this. Airliners are almost always vectored to either an ILS or Visual approach, but they never use RNAV.Either way, though, I do it with the PMDG 737 and LDS 767 for kicks.Now commuters such as the B1900C use RNAV sometimes, so if you have the B1900's from PMDG that's a great way to go as well.Hope this helps.

Guest kevinglave

OK I DID IT. I flew from KATL to KAGS and when i was given the approach I asked ATC for another and was cleared through the transition. It took some time though, I had to match the way points closely in both FMC and MS flight planner. It worked for that short journey I will try a longer and let you guys know the results. Thanks for the help.

Scenario..............Approaching within 20 miles of Madrid Airport last night with the FS9 ATC.ATC: "Maintain and climb to FL210"ATC: Turn left, heading 340, Land downwind RW 36L, maintain FL210"PMDG 737-700 GPWS after capturing glide slope : "Approaching Minimums"ATC: "Expedite your climb to FL210".******Come back FS2k2, all is forgiven******--------------------------------------------------------------Right, should I do another quick lap of the old Nurburgring circuit with 'GT4' or go flying?Dave T.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest kevinglave

I had to ignore ATC with the altitude assignment. That is a trouble FS9 needs to fix. Its like they cant give any other direction with regards to altitude before you maintain their alt for a while. If you ignore ATC and intercept the localizer they will clear you for landing, I have done it several times. ATC does not have the altitude restrictions for the STARs and I have so I ignore them only then. THE KEY IS TO ALWAYS REQUEST ANOTHER APPROACH. It is super cool when you do because you get to fly using the FMC. Don

Here's what I do when I want to use FS2K4 ATC and AI traffic. I do this only when VATSIM doesn't have any controllers online.1. Create the flight plan in MSFS flight planner. Sorry, no SIDS or STARS.2. Use PLN2RTE (found on AVSIM) to convert the MSFS *.pln format to PMDG *.rte format.3. Load that flight plan when programmin the FMC.Fly the flight with ATC. You can even use VNAV in this case. MSFS ATC always gives you initial vectors and final vectors. So, just use the MCP until your clear for your own nav.Alternatively you could put all of the waypoints for the plan you want to use (including SIDS and STARS) into the MSFS flight planner and then ATC should work as well. This is much harder because of MSFS's lame flight planner. But it does work.

Dave Paige

Guest kevinglave

You are correct, FS9 flight plan is boring and have very few if any of the waypoints for the SIDs or STARs so that makes the flight boring. However if you convert you can always enter the SIDs and STARs in the FMC to add a little spice, be sure to stay as close as possible to the FS9 flight plan as possible. You will get clearance to the approach 60-80 miles out which give you enough time to select the correct STAR in the FMC and ask ATC for clearance for the new approach.