Sign in to follow this  

Round the World Challenge - Volunteer Here

Dumb question maybe, but are we heading east or west...?Hawkeyez :-hmmm

Not a dumb question. Ha. Look at that chart of the legs above. Scattered about, or scatter brained. Ha. I went mostly West, but wanted the next pilot to go on to DAKAR on the SW African coast. From the Canaries it looks like we ought to still go down and across to South America and into Forteleza, Brazil. Good Luck all.

Guest Heather 636

I'm asking that too, after looking at that map. Was curious why the sudden drop south then west.I've have flown a round the world flight before with my DC-3 and this sure wasn't the route I took.If I leave Los Rodeos now, heading west, my destination will be Flores (LPFL), a distance of 984 miles. That still leaves you all a hop of 1,056 miles to St. Johns, New Foundland.I can go either way gentlemen, but I need to know what you all want before my tires leave terra firma.East?Or West?Regards,Heather

Michael: C421C Looks great. I guess I'll get one today. Your shot is really good. I wonder--how many "Kbytes" was this one? And great work on your flight. Good job. But I was trying to keep my time to between one and two point five hours or I'd have gone on to DAKAR. Ha. Lowell.

Guest emergency_pants

Hi Heather...I think you should go wherever you WANT to go!! :) What's YOUR preference? After all... you have the baton now... none of us are going to try and sway your course, it's in the rules!! (isn't it?)Heheheh... I look forward to seeing where you head.Simon.

Guest Heather 636

Okie dokie, the ball is in my lap, so be it.Haven't decided yet whether VFR or IFR (Flew my last world race entirely VFR).Full realism, real world weather, MSMaintenance engaged (sure glad I had a recent MOH).Will depart in the morning at dawn.Route will be "Island-hopping" albeit, non-stop.GCXO Los Rodeos to FUN-VOR, Madiera, 256.6 milesFUN-VOR to VSM-VOR, Santa Maria, 487.1 milesVSM-VOR to VMG-VOR, Ponta Delgada, 60 milesVMG-VOR to LM-VOR, Lajes, 84.8 milesLM-VOR to LPFL Flores, 191.8 milesTotal: 1,080 milesWish me, and my engines, luck!Cheerio lads!I'm off!Heather

Heather,I want to remind you of the rules. :)You have only three hours to complete the flight and report back!!ckfly

You can't make it across the Atlantic in Three Hours, you'll have to jump from somewhere like the Canaries or Azores and then make a run for Bermuda or Aruba or something.I think just take it across Africa to the East, into Saudi Arabia, India, southern Asia, down to Australia, over to New Zealand, then from somewhere like ChristChurch make a run for Antartica then fly over Antartica, land on the ice, then try and make it for Southern Chile! then up through the americas, jump off at Gander for Greenland, then Iceland, then Ireland, and to the UK.--------------Paul Meyer

Hi All,Have a great flight Heather...I know the Canaries probably wasn't the best choice, and my original plan was to go East, but it didn't really make since to backtrack (even though I kinda did, I guess). Also, like I said, didn't even see an airport for a couple of hours. I even started off flying south out of DATM, but didn't see anywhere interesting to go. I thought The Canary Islands would offer some versatility to fly down to South Africa, across the pond, or back up to the North for an easy Atlantic crossing, and besides its a tropical paradise. I'm having a virtual Pina Colada right now(with an umbrella in it).-------------Michael"The one fellow who is really broke in the air is the one who is out of both altitude and airspeed" (Wolfgang Langewieche, Stick and Rudder)

Two notes:1. It's good that nobody actually came out and told Heather which way to fly.... According to the rules stated in the very first post, that would have earned them a strike!!2. CKFly is ALMOST right. Three hours after Heather took the baton, anybody ---could--- chime in and claim her flight null and void. But if nobody does so and she gets her PIREP in before anybody tries to void it, the flight is considered valid. This rule was clarified in this manner by TornadoWilkes himself when I asked about it.Have a good flight, Heather! Hopefully I'll get my pedals working agin so I can do a leg or two later on.--Tony

Is this party intended for FS2K2 only? I can fly a leg or two in FS2K if nobody objects.eric

Hi Enave.As long as you can comply with the rules stated in Tornado's original post, you're certainly welcome!I can't think of anything that would leave out FS2002. Real Weather was available with that version, and there were prop planes galore!--TonyP.S. - In case you're wondering, Tornado sent me a note when he left for vacation asking me if I'd umpire things in his absence when someone needed rules clarifications. That's why you've seen me chiming in now and then!

I would guess that means that if we don't hear from Heather by 5:48 EDT someone else can "grab" the baton...?Or should we wait for her to make it across wherever it was she was trying to cross...?Hawkeyez

Enave.I think that would be great. I personally would welcome any and all flight simmers to join in. There is still a long ways to go!!-------------Michael"The one fellow who is really broke in the air is the one who is out of both altitude and airspeed" (Wolfgang Langewieche, Stick and Rudder)

>I would guess that means that if we don't hear from Heather >by 5:48 EDT someone else can "grab" the baton...? >>Or should we wait for her to make it across wherever it was >she was trying to cross...? Hawkeyez If it were up to me I think we should wait. The route that we have chosen leaves no choice but for some of the flights to be longer than three hours.-------------Michael"The one fellow who is really broke in the air is the one who is out of both altitude and airspeed" (Wolfgang Langewieche, Stick and Rudder)