Sign in to follow this  
Guest frochette

Multi screen

Guest frochette

Hello,Is it possible to use a multiple screen configuration with PMDG 737 planes. I would like to have my FMC, radio, ... on the second screen.Thanks for the responseFabien

Fabien,yes that is possible. So if you have a graphic card with two VGA/DVI connections or a second graphic card, go ahead and enjoy it!Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Fabien,It is very possible to use two monitors for the NG. Just be sure to check the overhead panel multi-monitor support in the PMDG|737|Styles Menu. And be sure to use the second monitor for the overhead and any extra panels.It's a fabulous setup. And now I'm getting used to having two monitors whenever I'm at the computer. It is great not only for FS! :-)Cheers,

Guest Cantuezel

Hi Mats,>...>It's a fabulous setup. And now I'm getting used to having two>monitors whenever I'm at the computer. It is great not only>for FS!...>for what kind of (Windows?) Applications/programs do you also use your two monitors, Mats? I thought until today that PC multiple monitor systems only "make sense" for Flight Sims or speed-car racing sims/games... Thaks for your info...:)GreetingsSusan

Hello Susan, I use two monitors all the time. Other than Flight Simulation, it can be used for just about anything. I mainly use it for my Video Production business when I do Video Editing. Having that extra space also allows your desktop not to be so cluttered with icons. However, be aware that when using more than one monitor in FS9, it will have an impact on performance. Best regards, Jeff

I can't say that I notice any reduced fps at all when I use the second monitor as long as I use it for displaying 2D views like the radio panel, FMC etc. If you show an outside view it becomes almost useless!Two monitors is also excellent for html-editing (editor on one, webbrowser on the other), chatting, displaying live timings from formula one races :) etc

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Susan,I do a lot of programming in Visual Studio and tend to end up with all sorts of windows open. Having double the space to spread them out on is great.Look at it as getting a twice as big table to put all your papers/documents on without stacking them up. :-)Cheers,

Guest aarskringspier

It works wonderfully!!!!

Guest Cantuezel

Hi Krister,>> If you show an outside view it>becomes almost useless!>well, when looking at your PC specs, especially the AMD 64 3800+(WInchester kernel?) and your graphics ATI 850XT it is hard to understand that it shall be *useless* when an outside view is been displayed on the second multi-monitor...(I have an AMD 64 3500+ Winchester, 1GB Ram and NVidea 6800GT 256MB, so probably no way, too!)Do you know what component to upgrade in order to achieve also good FPS on *both* monitors? Thanks and greetingsSusan

Guest Cantuezel

Hi Mats & Wallace,I only can say..."Wow!" :) :)That looks realy great (I don`t ask at that point how much of $$,

Guest wkzzo

In my case its all running from one computer with win xp pro. One dual head nvidia based AGP card and one nvidia PCI card. The software is all included in the Nvidia drivers (N view) The FPS are not an issue unless you try to use a 3D window such as an outside view then you will have problems. Almost all modern graphics cards will do this, it just has to be enabled in the drivers, and of course a second monitor.Yokes are CH brand, also recommend the pedals(sold seperatly).

Susan,actually my statement was based on my experience with an earlier computer /PIV 3 GHz, 1 GB RAM and ATI 9800 Pro video card). So I had to give it a try with my new system and actually it wasn't too bad! My fps dropped from about 50-60 (from virtual cockpit view in the Dreamfleet 172R) to about 20-25 when I added spot view on my second monitor. In my opinion the Dreamfleet 172 in spot view is very gentle on the fps which cannot be said about the 737NG. But still I was pleasantly surprised!/Krister

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Susan,I'll try to answer your questions:>2)Mats, you use 3 *individual* PCs at the same time, right? If>so, how do you manage that *different* PCs work together in>order to "display" and work for *one* application called FS>2004? :)I use a registered copy of FSUIPC and an application called WideFS written by Pete Dowson (www.schiratti.com/dowson) which basically is a server-client software installed on multiple computers and provides a 'fake" FS interface on all connected computers.On the above setup I am running FS on the main rig with WideServer running in the background. To that PC I have two monitors connected and one is showing the main panel and the outside wiev. WHile the other monitor will take care of displaying the overhead, FMC and throttle pedestal. The second computer is running WideCLient and thus shows a FS interface for the programs installed on that PC. I run: - Active Sky (www.hifisim.com) which is a real time weather add-on, - SquawkBox (www.squawkbox.ca) for connecting to VATSIM for online flying and ATC, - Servinfo (http://www.avsim.com/hangar/utils/servinfo/) which is a neat little utility for watching the status of the online networks.WideFS takes the load of the main rig and lets it handle FS with full attention.>I thought until now that a single PC with a graphic card which>has two or more outside ports (DVI, VGA etc.) can be used for>FS2K4 but it`s new that for me that individual PCs are>connected together...There is a program called WideView (http://www.wideview.it/) that can connect several PCs with separate copies of FS to display the same flight and different views.The third computer is used as a Internet computer while flying for looking up charts or browsing the Internet or chatting on IM.>So how does that "connection" works...>a) at hardware (which computer cables etc. are used?) I have a regular TCP/IP network setup at home. With a switch in the middle. I also have a Internet router and firewall connected through which all computers access Internet.>:( at software (how is *each* WinXP (or other OS) is>configured in order that it works for ONE(!) application>(FS2K4)?See above>3) Both of you use the same flight choke, when I watched it>right. Could you tell me what is the name (brand etc.) and if>it is automatically shipped with pedals?CH Yoke and pedals (http://www.chproducts.com/) is IMO the first thing you should try to invest in. It makes a huge difference from using a twist joystick. The pedals for wheel steering is amazing for taxying on airports.>4) How do you fix the problem of correct lighting your real>"cockpit" at nights? I mean the area where you sit on your>chair not the cockpit at the screens...I turn down the surrounding lights if flying by night. I have a little table spotlight for reading charts and any other documents needed.>I have the problem that when simulating night flights with>FS2K4, PMDG and switch off every light in the room it is much>too dark to type in keystrokes, read Enroute&Approach charts>etc.But when I switch on a small lamp at my table which is>focused on the keyboard the light is reflected towards the>monitor screen and it looks to bright then and also kind of>"unrealistic" for a *night* flight in a flight cockpit.Get a small indirect light that will light up your working area without dirturbing the night lighting from the monitors.>So how did you solve that problems with reflecting light from>the keyboard etc..for "Night flight enviroment cockpit>styles"? :) I'm not that hardcore! ;-)>5) Mats, I saw at your pic above an Enroute chart lying at the>left of your table that is *not* Jepessen like. What kind is>that, could it be one of a brand called "Atlas" or so...? :)That is an enroute manual from a SAS DC-9. APart from Jeppesen and some others, Scandinavian Airlines has their own chartographical division and sells navigational aids like charts and databases just like Jeppesen.Hope it helps,