Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cantuezel

PMDG: Markers & "Abeam"?

Guest Cantuezel

Hi,A)...can you just say where I can find in the PMDG-700 the knobs/switches to turn *on/off* the...1) Outer- and Middle Marker *displays* (blue flashing when flying over it on final approach)2)Outer- and Middle Marker sounds when flying above them...?I looked it up on the radio panel but did not find that on/off switches/knobs... B)I learned (years and years ago...lol!) that there is also an *Inner Marker beacon* at the threshold of a RWY. But in all the newer MS-Sims I never saw an (civil) airport with an Inner Marker installed.What is the reason for that or is the IM kind of "old fashioned" and has been displaced by "something new"?C) My English is not so pretty well so I oftenly dont`t understand the technical "Flight-English" instructions. Could you please explain to me what that means..."pilots have to fly *abeam* of an Nav-aid e.g."? What kind of procedure do I have to fly and how do I have to set my VOR/RMI/ADF instruments in order that I "find" that abeam-point?Thanks again for your help...:)Greetings Susan

Guest tmetzinger

1... don't think you can turn off the displays, but if you have the 800/900 there's a MKR button on the audio panel, select it and deselect it and that should get rid of the sounds.2. Generally only runways certified for CATII or CATIII approaches have inner marker beacons - i'm not sure if they're still required. I know that middle markers are no longer required in the US for CAT I ILS approaches - I expect that eventually marker beacons may be retired. Their purpose is to tell you where you are distance wise on the approach from the runway. you can then cross check your altitude with the charted altitude for that point to confirm that things are functioning as they should. In localizer-only approaches (GS out of service), the outer marker is typically the point where you can begin your decent to the MDA.

Guest Cantuezel

Thanks for the answer, Tim.1) So do you think that there is no possibilty to switch the markers on/off on the 600/700 then at at all? On the audiopanel (you mean that one where you trigger COMs, Nav1+2, ADF etc...?) of the 700 I can`t see a knob/switch...2) Concerning the OM: Is there a kind of a "rule" or is it a general practice that the landing gear will be lowered at the OM and that at least at that point the final slat/flap config. has to be entered...?Thanks again! :)GreetingsSusan

My general approach rule is flaps 5 and 180 IAS to the OM, then gear down, set Vref + XX (usually 5) and deploy flaps on schedule. I think a pretty normal SOP for most airlines is "stabilized" on approach by 1000AGL. This means in landing configuration with engines spooled up. Since most OM are generally at 5 miles the aircraft should be approximately 1500ft AGL at that point. That leaves little wiggle room fcor getting configured for landing.A more conservative approach is to go gear down, Vref + XX, etc. at 2000 AGL... I guess just personal preference and comfort level with the aircraft.Hope this helps...

Guest frankathl

Hi Susan,"2)Outer- and Middle Marker sounds when flying above them..."You should be able to turn the marker sounds on/off with the CTRL+3 key combination.I am not sure if you can turn off the visual display for the markers?I will check this when I get home.BR,Frank

Guest frankathl

Hi Susan,"2) Concerning the OM: Is there a kind of a "rule" or is it a general practice that the landing gear will be lowered at the OM and that at least at that point the final slat/flap config. has to be entered...?"Check out the ILS Approach profile on the 737 Profiles page at Bill Bulfer's site below:http://www.fmcguide.com/support.htmlYou can see from the diagram that GEAR DOWN is at one & one half dots below the Glideslope, and that final flaps/speed are configured at Glideslope capture(prior to the outer marker, which you can also see in the diagram).Hope this is of some help.BR,Frank