Sign in to follow this  
Guest afroboy

Apporach points with FMC

Guest afroboy

Bear with me as i am new the the FMC. Have completed the tute, but wanna FMC my own flights now. I am all good up until establishing the apporach for the FMC. For example:i make a flight plan via FS9 from Brisbane (YBBN) to Sydney (YSSY).When i attempt to add approaches for the specified runway it doesnt seem to match up and i end up flying in manually. What am i doing wrong??Can anyone enlighten me in adding approaches to my plans so that i can fly in via my FMC plan to lock onto the glidescope of the allocated runway?Cheers,Dave

Dave,I am not sure what do you mean by 'doesnt seem to match up' but putting it very simple:You have to select the STAR and the runway (if they exist in the nav database). If not, you can manually add waypoints to the Final Approach Fix from the approach chart you should have in front of you. Those waypoints usually make you intersect the ILS beam at about 30 degrees, at which point the aircraft will automatically be overtaken by the localizer/glideslope that will guide it to the runway.I assume you know how to refresh the nav data from the Web, and how to create your own waypoints in FMC, and how to put the ils frequency in the nav radio and all this basic stuff.This should work, it does for me. Hope it helps you a little.Neven

You can add a final approach fix. When you select the DEP/ARR page on the FMC see if at the arrival point if there is a "ext" line available. type in 10 and it will generate a FAF 10nm from the runway slected that the FMC will fly you to.My other suggestion is to check the LEGS page and see if the BN fix is included. If it is delete that and recalculate using the "exec" button. If you are using 01 at YBBN you may find that the FMC takes you straight to the runway at a 45 degree angle from the right. Try inserting a new waypoint based on Latitude and Longitude based on any atlas. The format for such an entry is in the FMC notes and this will appear as WAYPT 01 on the LEGS page..Gerry

Guest afroboy

Cheers for the comments and advice. I spent a few hours last night working on the STAR's routes. Have been doing some simple adding of waypoints or finding a STAR that comes close to a leg before reaching the airport then adding it in. Is this the standard way to do it? I flew a short (very short) flight from coolongatta (YBCS) to Brisbane (YBBN) into RWY 19 approach which worked.Cheers