Sign in to follow this  
Pod562

Stupid question time again - radio channels

I know what Com1 channel is for, and nav1 and nav2, but when would you use Com2 channel? When I fly vatsim, I presume i am always communicating on VHF Com1.ThanksRenzo Nicoletti

Bill Miller

Guest Hawkeyeted

For flight sim purposes, you can generally get by with just one radio. In real life though, two radios are needed. Many times (taxi for departure comes to mind) pilots are required to be in contact with Ground (Comm 1), but need to monitor the Tower (Comm 2).

When I fly online, that is on VATSIM, I usually use Com2 to listen in on the next frequency I will switch to so that I know what to expect.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Com 2 is also a good thing for listening to ATIS (real life as well as in the Sim). And if you don't need it just tune in 121.5 (international emergency frequency).Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

I didn't realise you could simultaneously receive on Com 1 and Com 2!Thanks for everyone's input. RegardsRenzo Nicoletti

Bill Miller

Guest greggs

Ok. I'll bite.How do you activate both com channels? I assume it'll behave like FS in that you listen/talk on one channel and listen on the other.GreggS

Guest Hawkeyeted

>Ok. I'll bite.>>How do you activate both com channels? I assume it'll behave>like FS in that you listen/talk on one channel and listen on>the other.>>GreggS1) Open the Radio Panel.2) On the MIC panel, just ensure that both VHF-1 and -2 receive buttons (the little round ones) are are both illuminated. This ensures you can receive audio from both radios at the same time.3) You can only select ONE radio at a time to xmit on by selecting either VHF-1 or VHF-2 with the MIC select pushbuttons (the rectangular ones along the top). Just select which ever radio you wish to transmit on.Hope this helps!

Guest ChrisY

In the real world Com 2 is used to receive the ATIS, listen to VHF weather broadcasts, communicate with the company (especially useful when delayed, pax problems or when there are technical problems as you can speak to engineers for advice etc) Also it allows you to monitor a second ATC frequency. Obviously it is also fairly useful if Com 1 fails!RegardsChris Y

Bigger airplanes have even three comm radios. Such is the case of the coming 747. In Varig airplanes where we have three radios there is a way to use them correctly. I just can't remeber right now. It goes something like clearence delivery on the left radio (they're named right, center and left) taxi on the right, tower on the left, departure on the right and center (not the radio, the atc!) on the left. Center radio is used for ACARS and company radio. when arriving/departing.Regards,Victor http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg