Sign in to follow this  
Guest allblack

Just a couple of PMDG generic operational questions....

Guest allblack

Good morning. Friday here in NZ, almost the weekend.....FS time!Anyway, just a few ( approach) questions if I may. Oh, 737-700NG if it's relevant.EFIS - has four settings: APP / VOR / MAP / PLANFor the approach, which setting should I be using, in usual circumstances? I tried APP last night, but got a yellow message along the lines of EFIS/NAV MODE DISAGREE.On the approach, should I be in APP? If APP stands for Approach, then I guess so..Less important, but still curious, why does the A/P have four buttons? CMD x 2 and the same below?Assuming I'm NOT wanting to Autoland, which should I be using?Look forward to some comments.CheersTimPS: Got the ITVV (?) DVD for my birthday two days ago of the Virgin flight from EGLL to KSFO. Fantastic! If you thinking about buying it - do so. I already had Flight 1's 777 DVD, but this latest one is a huge step up.Got some questions about what I saw in that too, but that's another day...

Guest alexhn

>For the approach, which setting should I be using, in usual>circumstances? I tried APP last night, but got a yellow>message along the lines of EFIS/NAV MODE DISAGREE.You should be using APP mode. You will get the EFIS/NAV MODE DISAGREE message if you have not tuned the NAV1/NAV2 radio to the ILS frequency of the runway you are landing at, and also, if you have not selected the course of that runway on the MCP.>On the approach, should I be in APP? If APP stands for>Approach, then I guess so..If you are in APP then the Aircraft will fly the approach itself>Less important, but still curious, why does the A/P have four>buttons? CMD x 2 and the same below?The Autopilot is not all CMD if you look closely. The 2 on top are CMD, while the bottom 2 are CWS. CMD is what you enable to get your normal autopilot. The second CMD is a second computer, used for autolanding, and as a backup. The reason there is a second computer is because if the first computer fails, then there must be something for the aircraft to fall back on. The bottom 2 buttons are CWS, or control wheel steering. When activated, you can steer and pitch the plane normally, but when you let go of the joystick or yoke, the plane will stay in this pitch, because the CWS automatically trims the aircraft to this position. The reason for 2 of them i think is the same philosophy as the 2 CMD buttons. >Assuming I'm NOT wanting to Autoland, which should I be>using?Tune the NAV radios to the correct frequency, and then select the approprate course.(CRS) Any autopilot settings are optional (speed, heading etc)

Guest allblack

Thanks Alex, much appreciated.CheersTim

Guest alexhn

no problems - also, if you require further detail, read the manual like i did - back to front - it will answer most of your questions very comprehensively.