Sign in to follow this  
Guest SoarPics

Need Opinions Here - Saitek X36 & X45

I currently own the X45 and I have to say it was well worth the investment. The movements are so smooth and precise. It's wicked :-hahIt is loaded with buttons and features. The main stick has two 8-way hat switches, 3 fuction buttons, a launch button (under the cover), a trigger and pinkie switch.The throttle is a masterpiece with 2 rotary knobs, mode select switches two more function buttons, a mouse controller and there is even a rudder controller under the main handle.Over all it's a very versatile joystick with all the funtions you need in a sleek compact design. Emphasis on sleek ;-)Cheers :-hahNick :-abducthttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d2ddc5d40e48035.jpg

Guest eko

I just upgraded from a Logitech Wingman to a CH Products Stick, and can vouch for it's quality. It's more than your budget, so that may be a consideration. This is the cheapest price Ive been able to find mail order.http://www.provantage.com/FP_56734.HTM

Another advantage of HOTAS (Saitek X36/45, CH, or Thrustmaster): it is INFANITELY easier to control a helicopter with hands on stick and throttle. You can temporarily velcro the throttle base to a vertical wall so you are pulling the handle up and down instead of shoving it forwards and backwards, orientation becomes more intuitive and also its VERY like real world controls. == WHK ==

I have a CH products yoke with pedals, a Saitek X45 and had earlier also an X36 and the Saitek Cyborg.I generally (of course...) prefer the yoke but I do use it together with the throttle of the X45. Not only do you get a better feeling when adjusting the power but you also get a lot more buttons to map to eg different views (very useful when flying the Dreamfleet 737), toga and reverse thrust.However, I do feel that the build quality of the x36 is far superior to the X45. The latter one feels very plastic and at least mine shows some sticky behaviour. The Saitek Cyborg is very good and well worth the money, however the X45 is not that much more expensive.Since my X36 was a game port version I couldn't use it anymore with my new comp. If it would, I would have kept it instead of buying the x45.Regards,KristerMariehamn

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

>The joystick has a nice feel and despite the cheaper price >is actually easier to use than the yoke was (!!??!!).Hi Michael,could you elaborate on the above statement? It piqued my interest because I am pondering... nah... dreaming about such a device (USBFlight Yoke) and I've got the Saitek Cyborg as you do which I am very satisfied with basically. I ihought a yoke would add some more realism.celticmatrix

Guest Heather 636

Wow, some pretty tough choices.Again, my finances limt me a great deal on some I would REALLY like to have, but then what else is new, after all these years, I'm STILL waiting for my Rolls Royce.I may look into that Cyborg as i saw some of those too on ebay. What does it have though for "rudder" control?Again, thanks everyone for the feedback.Cheers!Heather

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Keep your Cyborg.I had felt up until now that CH products were a good value. I no longer think so. I had a Flightsim Yoke LE USB and USB Rudder pedals. The Rudder pedals failed after a year of use (broken spring a total write off), The Yoke became impossible to secure to my desktop, and the response to control inputs became increasingly sloppy. Worst of all was the throttle.The Cyborg is much more precise, much easier to use, and even if it should fail down the road, much cheaper to replace.When the time comes to purchase a new yoke, pedals, and throttles, I intend going to Precision Flight Controls. Yes, their stuff is admittedly expensive, but it is well made and will last.Michael VerlinHistoric Jetliners Group

Guest Heather 636

I DO hope this Cyborg has rudder control because I just got ahead of myself and placed a bid on it before waiting for an answer to that question.I guess I got excited over the $20 starting bid.We'll see.Regards,Heather

Yes, the Cyborg definitely has rudder control. One twists the handle to exert control in that axis.Michael VerlinHistoric Jetliners Group

Guest SoarPics
Cool :-yellow1 :-yellow1 Hope the deal works out for you. Keep us posted.Regards,

Heather,Just my two penn'oth (from over the pond):-) I would agree with Ed Green's post.I really like my Saitek X36, good throttle and rudder control (most sticks are good at elevator & aileron control) and comfortable to use.Drawback, as Ed pointed out, is their programming s/ware if you want to program every single button in every possible way.I moved up to the X36 from a MSSWFF which gives you some idea of what I thought about the SW ;) FF is fun for a time but IMO the laack of good rudder and throttle control outwieghed the FF hence the move to the X36.I fly mainly jet airliners and have the X36 set up via FS assignments and do not use the extra programable functions available from their s/ware, in fact if I did use the full programability I would not be able to remember what each button did:-lol My OS is Win98SEJust one point to note, the X36 USB combo has both a gameport & USB connector, this may also be true of any X36.Hope you find something suitable.Rgds