Sign in to follow this  
Guest highflight1985

"err at XXX, line YYY."

Guest highflight1985

Hi. I am trying to follow Fred Clausen's tutorial (version 2), but haven't even been able to leave the gate because I have been having problems with the FMC.When I first installed, I downloaded 0505 AIRAC data from www.navdata.at. I started to follow the tutorial. When I got to programming the FMC and the part where I select the Pullman 4 arrival for KORD, I found that no arrivals were listed for KORD at all, but the approaches on the right-hand side of the screen were there. So, thinking that the AIRAC data from www.navdata.at didn't include SIDS/STARS for the PMDG 737, I went to the PMDG website and downloaded the latest SID/STAR package from there. I restarted FS9 and went through the whole cockpit setup again. This time when I started to program the FMC, I got an error when I typed in KJFK as the DEP airport and KORD as my DEST airport. Also, there now weren't even runways on the right hand side of the FMC for KORD. Through a search of the PMDG website for an answer, I stumbled across Terry's SID/STAR package and downloaded that. Restarted FS9, setup the cockpit again, and got the same errors. Just for kicks, I decided to see if I would get the same error with different airports. Sure enough, I did. It doesn't seem to matter which airports I select, I get errors. Each error is slightly different, but they all follow the same general format of: "err at FIX, line 111."Can anyone help?

Guest glenb

The first thing that comes to mind is where did you put the SIDSTAR file? It does not go in the same folder as the NAVDATA.Fred

Guest stang

Hello What's your name.What you describe can be caused by syntax errors or navdata/terminal procedures cycle mismatch. I'd recommend you go to the Terminal Procedures forum here at avsim.com and read the pinned topic "How to update PMDG procedures". It may help you understand what's going on when updating your procedures. I'd also recommend you delete all the files in the PMDGSidStars folder so you do not have any old ones remaining. You might want to verify you have a good download of the procedures by testing the zip file. Then unzip the 0505 cycle of procedures to the PMDGSidStars folder. Verify that you do have them in that folder. Next make sure you update the navaids using the 0505 cycle from navdata.at. These steps usually fix your type of problem.RegardsTerryPlanePath

Guest highflight1985

Terry,I followed your instructions and the instructions on updating the PMDG database to the letter. Deleted all previous information. Installed your SID/STAR database, the navdata.at AIO file, and then then navadata.at AIRAC data. Fired it up, and I still get the same errors.Any other ideas?

Guest glenb

Highfight,When you bring up the FMC and select FMC at L1 do you see AIRAC-0505 at L2 on the IDENT page?

Guest stang

Hello again What's your name.>information. Installed your SID/STAR database, the navdata.at>AIO file, and then then navadata.at AIRAC data. Fired it up,>and I still get the same errors.Is it the SIDs or STARs from the AIO file that are causing the errors?Thinking out loud here. If the errors always are err at FIX, line xxx then the FMC is not able to find the FIX listed on line xxx. This is really odd though unless the FIX was not defined. Bad procedure if this happens.Try it again without adding the AIO file as some airports could be outdated or have errors. If that fixes the problem then you need to go to the author of the airport that was causing the error. If it does not fix the problem then a reinstall of the 737 may be in order.RegardsTerry

Guest highflight1985

>>Highfight,>>When you bring up the FMC and select FMC at L1 do you see>AIRAC-0505 at L2 on the IDENT page?>>Yes. :-(Terry: I'll try that...P.S. Just out of curiousity--is there a difference in the way the Navdata and SIDS/STARs are written between v1.2 and v1.3?EDIT: Okay - just tried Terry's suggestion but nothing changed. I also tried reinstalling. I think I should add (if I haven't already) that these errors happen at different lines, and it doesn't matter what airport I put in--any airport I put in brings up these errors. It isn't always "Err at FIX..." I have gotten "Err at AT", and "Err at TRANSITION". I don't get any runways for any airport. I don't get any SIDs/STARs for any airport.

Guest glenb

Highflight,The NAVDATA and SIDSTAR files are two different sets of files, produced by two different people for two different purposes and located in two different places in your directory. The FMC uses both to provide the guidance.At this point we don

Guest highflight1985

Okay...I can't do any of that beyond the Init Pos. Reason being is that whenever I type in the airport into the DEP and DEST fields, regardless of what airport I put in, I get "Err at XXX, line YYY." The errors aren't exactly the same, but they follow the same format.I hope this makes sense.

Guest glenb

I need to be clear here. Can you enter an airport in the POS INIT page? If so I think that means the NAVDATA files are OK. That means I don

Guest stang

Hello What's your name>P.S. Just out of curiousity--is there a difference in the way>the Navdata and SIDS/STARs are written between v1.2 and v1.3?I know of no difference in the navaid data but there was a small change in the procedures but it was backward compatible so it should not make any difference. You should run version 1.3 though.>and it doesn't matter what airport I put in--any airport I put>in brings up these errors. It isn't always "Err at FIX..." I>have gotten "Err at AT", and "Err at TRANSITION". I don't get>any runways for any airport. I don't get any SIDs/STARs for>any airport.This still sounds like a typical syntax problem and it stumps me because all procedures I put out beginning cycle 0501 have been 100% checked for syntax errors by the same routine that the FMC uses so I am having a problem understanding why the errors. It is not uncommon to see them with the default set that is shipped with the plane and in some procedures found at navdata.at. But even then it is still a small number that caused problems, not every airport.The "Err at AT" has happen in older versions of the 737. It was caused by waypoint names being the same as some syntax key words. Updating to 1.3 fixes that problem.1. Did you test the PMDG_Procedures_0505.zip file for errors before unzipping?2. Do you have 1685 files in your PMDGSidstars folder?3. Are all the airport files dated 5/11/05?4. Open several. Does the 3rd line down say, "// Derived from DAFIF cycle 0505."?This one is weird. No offense but when this sort of problem has happened in the past it has been user error. They did not get the files in the right folder but did not realize it.RegardsTerry