Sign in to follow this  
Guest nat2005

PMDG. FS9 and Win Xp PRO 64

Guest nat2005

Hello everyone,I have just purchased a AMD64 3000+ and ASUS K8V-X motherboard, i have 1.25GB of RAM and a GeForce Ti4200 64MB, in the next mounth or so i am going to buy a GeForce 6800LE 128MB, and 550W Silent Power Supply unit (my current is 220W at the mo). I am also running WinXP Pro 32bit, and i want to upgrade to WinXP Pro 64bit. What does it consist of, do i have to reformat my hardrive to be able to install it? and do i have to get 64bit drivers for all my other hardware (motherboard, graphics card etc...)? Or can i have both Win XP versions installed (Win XP Pro 32 and Win XP Pro 64)? Because i have heard the results with WinXP Pro 64 ,FS9 and PMDG are great ; )Cheers,Nathanial

Guest Buck Bolduc

>Hello everyone,>>I have just purchased a AMD64 3000+ and ASUS K8V-X>motherboard, i have 1.25GB of RAM and a GeForce Ti4200 64MB,>in the next mounth or so i am going to buy a GeForce 6800LE>128MB, and 550W Silent Power Supply unit (my current is 220W>at the mo). I am also running WinXP Pro 32bit, and i want to>upgrade to WinXP Pro 64bit. What does it consist of, do i have>to reformat my hardrive to be able to install it? and do i>have to get 64bit drivers for all my other hardware>(motherboard, graphics card etc...)? Or can i have both Win XP>versions installed (Win XP Pro 32 and Win XP Pro 64)? Because>i have heard the results with WinXP Pro 64 ,FS9 and PMDG are>great ; )>>Cheers,>>Nathanial>>I dual boot with Win XP-32 and the RC2 version of Win XP-64.Dont see enough difference to write home about, but then I have only 1 gig of ram.With regard to drivers NVidia and ATI both have drivers. NVidia has NForce chipset drivers on their website, they may be on a later version of X64's CD.My mobo has VIA KT800, MSI fsr2. No problems with it. Some have had some problems tho, dont remember the specifics.I put Win XP-32 on 2x74 Gig Raptors RAID-0. I have Win XP-64 on a Maxtor 160 Gb 8Mb cache HD. I have not used Win XP-64 that much because of the Raptors. However I did install FS9, PMDG,LDS and a few other programs, no problems at all, run fine.As far as other drivers? I use a HP-2100 LaserJet and Win-64 found it during installation and when it was finished the printer was ready, no intervention on my part.If you buy a NVidia GT 6800-256 make sure it's the GT 6800NX, the NX part is important, better GPU. The non NX part sounds good but you get what you pay for!Best

Guest nat2005

hi,so you didnt realy notice much off a difference when running FS9 with WIN XP 64? Thanx for your helpCheers,Nathanial

Guest mnieuwhof

>hi,>>so you didnt realy notice much off a difference when running>FS9 with WIN XP 64? Thanx for your help>>Cheers,>>NathanialCorrect,Cause FS9 is a 32bit app and needs to be recompiled for 64Bit.Your WinXP 64bit will run FS9 in 32bit compatibility mode...So no speed up here until FS9 gets recompiled for 64bit!L8er,Marc Nieuwhof

Guest Buck Bolduc

>>hi,>>>>so you didnt realy notice much off a difference when running>>FS9 with WIN XP 64? Thanx for your help>>>>Cheers,>>>>Nathanial>>Correct,>Cause FS9 is a 32bit app and needs to be recompiled for>64Bit.>Your WinXP 64bit will run FS9 in 32bit compatibility mode...>So no speed up here until FS9 gets recompiled for 64bit!>>L8er,>Marc Nieuwhof>On the other hand I didn't benchmark anything.As I stated they both seem close. However running with two Raptors on 32 bit may give it somewhat of an edge. At some point I will switch to straight 64 bit WITH the Raptors configured to RAID-0.I never noticed how disk intensive FS9 is, if it is disk intensive than 64 bit would definatly be faster!Right now I get 85-100 FPS in spot view, 100 if all I have is blue sky for a background.2D = 50-60 FPS.VC = 30-35Even at busy airports.If you buy a GT 6800 make sure it's the GT 6800NX. The NX is important, different GPU even tho the non NX is 256Mb.As allway's, you get what you pay for.Jules

Guest nat2005

well i am just about to buy a GeForce 6800LE 128mb graphics card and a 550W silent power supply, obviously this graphics card wont give me the results you get but what sort of results do you think it will give me? At the moment i have a GeForce 4600ti 64MB, i assume this new graphics card will be better than my current one? Cheers,Nathanial