Sign in to follow this  
hippieatheart

Boeing to make a new 737 and 747

I read in the financial times that Boeing are planning a new 737 Next Generation planned to be released in 2012. They also are considering a new 747 called the 747 Advanced. Just wondering if anyone else heard about this and also can you imagine what sort of technology will be in place by that time? They may not even need a pilot anymore!! :( Aaron

Guest Boaz

This has been mentioned before yes...Lotsa speculation because the B747ADV (Advanced) is still iffie... BA said that they are very interested and CPA as well, but I don't think it's enough for Boeing to launch it.The B737-900X has been in the planning stage as well, they have announced that they would start thinking about a replacement for the NG's as the A318/19/20/21 series are the NG's biggest threat to their line of single aisle aircraft.But lotsa discussion on A net as well, people speculate and tell rumors, but nothing concrete yet...The B747ADV would simply be a stretched version...Boaz..

Guest ahmedem

Latest on the rumour mill is that Boeing will make a final decision/announcement on the 747adv after next month's board meeting. So watch this space!! It's a tough old decision for them.If they do go ahead with it I think we should all hound them with messages of "can I have a release date", "has it entered beta testing yet" "will it have... like on the A380" :D

Guest Newflyer

"If they do go ahead with it I think we should all hound them with messages of "can I have a release date", "has it entered beta testing yet" "will it have... like on the A380" :D"LOL!!

Guest neeraj.pendse

I heard Boeing had plans to make the 747-500/ -600 but Boeing believed that the market for >500 seats is limited (i.e . the industry can not afford to have two players in this space) and so they did not proceed with the plans.I do think though that now is a bit late to make that decision, if indeed the 747-ADV is a stretched fuse. This is because all the ~600 seatrequirements have probably been mopped up by the Airbus A380 by now. I bet if people knew about 747-ADV an year ago, at least some of the A380 orders would have converted to the 747-ADV.- Neeraj

I would think there would be a big market for the stretched 747 because how many airports can afford to redesign everything for the giant a380? The 747 stretched would not need the same kind of redesigning right as long as its width stayed the same? Anyway just my noneducated opinion on the subject.