Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cantuezel

PMDG: Wiper animation?

Guest Cantuezel

Hi,I am just flying the PMDG 700 in a scenery with much rain showers and though I switched l/r -wipers to "high" I do not see any wiper animation at all...not in the cockpit nor in the VC...The Electricity is on (Both Generators "on" and powered, APU "off" etc.)Can you give me a hint what I have to do in order to *see* the wiper-animation in action?Many thanks in advance! :)GreetingsSusan

Guest aarskringspier

You can't, it isnt modeled in the NG.

Guest neeraj.pendse

So long time no question: 737-600/700 there are no wipers. But on the -800/900 there are wipers, and they work. Problem now is that they do not leave semicircular streaks of water on the windscreens. :-)- Neeraj

Guest frankathl

Hi Susan,Randy is incorrect, while Neeraj is only half right! :-)You must own the 800/900 series in order to have wiper animation, but when you do upgrade, you will then have wiper animation in ALL versions of the NG, as you will be able to update your 600/700 installation with the new features from the 800/900 series. Note that you will have the wiper animation in the VC, but not in the 2D panel. You will, however, be able to observe them working when viewing the external model, which is 'neat', as they say :-).BR,Frank

Guest aarskringspier

Hmm they most certainly do not work what so ever here and I have the entire series, strange.

Guest frankathl

Hi Randy,That is strange! I assume you've performed the update to the 600/700 series?Best wishes,Frank

Guest aarskringspier

Yeah they are all updated, was just playing around with it a few minutes ago I definatley do not get any wiper animation. That is weird.

Guest neeraj.pendse

>Randy is incorrect, while Neeraj is only half right! :-)Ah, are you saying if I do the 600/700 update that's only for the 800/900 owners (I think there is such an update, isn't there?) I will get wipers on all the models?Alright, now can you get me semicircular streaks of water on the windshield though? :-wave - Neeraj

I have all the updates to the 900 and the wipers work in the VC of all models. If they don't you must have something wrong guys.

Guest Cantuezel

Thanks guys for your answers...it now works (in the VC)...:)Two more wiper questions: I noticed that there are separate wiper knobs for the Pilot (left) wiper and the Co-Pilot (right) wipers:1) Why are there two individual wipers instead of one for all wipers at all? I mean isnt that strange that when it rains and one of the pilots activates "his" wiper the other one sees nothing because his wiper is still "off"? Are there realy situations where one pilot needs another wiper-position than the other one?2) Please don`t laugh because of that following kind of question...lol!) :-) :Asking the real and virtual pilots here: With this two individual wipers it is now possible to activate both in a "non-synchronous" way to each other: For example: The left pilot starts his wiper and right pilot starts his one 0.5 sec later...the result is that both wipers work but are non-synchronous (left one is at top of the window while right one is at the bottom etc...)Isn`t this fact very *annoying* for a pilot? For my feeling (in a car) it is much "better" (and it looks smoother) to have two synchron wipers...so again...wouldn`t *one(!)* knob (= Two synchronous wipers) for both wipers would be better? Many thanks in advanceSusan

Interesting question SusanMy answer to that is that the interval and frequence is up to each pilot to decide upon. I can only speak for myself but I do get annoyed when riding a car with someone who is using a high frequency wiper and I would use an lower or interval setting. Can drive me nuts!!! :-)And I would guess you mainly look out of your own wind shield on an aircraft. And I don't think you get bothered by the other wiper as the NG is a bit bigger than a car. Just my two cents,

Guest neeraj.pendse

Indeed very interesting questions. You consistantly think of interesting things to ask! No I am not laughing ...- Neeraj

Guest frankathl

...not to mention the fact that you can run the wipers at slow, medium, and fast speeds! :-)BR,Frank

Guest Cantuezel

@NeerajWell, thanks! :)I simply asked myself why the engeneers at Boeing built in *two* wiper knobs for one function? I cannot imagine that the rain at the left pilot window could be stronger/lighter than 1 feet bedsides of that position at the First Officer`s window...(lol!)...And such an individual knob is of course another (expensive?) cost-factor...and the second wiper-knob even isn`t capable as kind of an "update system" because it does not work for the *other(!)* wiper, am I right?GreetingsSusan

Guest wfr

Hi,"simply asked myself why the engeneers at Boeing built in *two* wiper knobs for one function?"it's for safety reasons. the wipers if one wiper fails you have another as a backupWalter