Sign in to follow this  
Guest pellelil

Beta-testers: Have any had time to work with failures ?

Guest pellelil

I do try to keep patient however it is not easy now the this magnificent plane is so close I can smell it, or is it simply my car leaking oil?I do realize that you have only had the Beta for a couple of days so unless you have all called in sick you haven't had time for in depth tests (being a software developer my self I know). However if any of you have had time to look at the failures I would like to hear your oppinion on it: Is an engine fire visible in spot-view (if so, can we see?), does the plane "feel differnt" (system being infected) when shuting down an engine?Also do any of you "dare to" compare it to PS (Presicion Simulator), as far as number/level of systems simulated (again I do realzie you only had it for a couple of days)?Keep up the good work, and hope you enjoy the Beta (you lucky #### ). http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpgPelle F. S. Liljendal

Hi Pelle,Only managed about 30mins in the aircraft before I had to go away to work,so not tried any engine out stuff yet.But what I can say is I had a quick look through the failures menu and was just amazed by the scope of it.Way way ahead of PS1 (sorry,no offence Hardy),this is a true real world training tool.I had a day using a training simulator we have in our flight crew training dept,which granted, has a hardware FMC and MCP ,but costs several thousands of pounds

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Jon,I am less interested in "failures" caused by rare hardware glitches and more by failures that can be caused by pilots abusing the equipment, using wrong procedures, etc. By the way with my imperfect knowledge of the systems I am only guessing that such failures are indeed possible on real aircraft but at this point I would be hard pressed to come up with an example. Any chance they are also modelled here (if they exist in real life)?Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Hi Michael,I`m sure you`ll be able to find a way to break it!Just off the top of my head the fuel system,although mostly automated can still get you in trouble if its not set properly.there`s a few other tricks I`d like to try to see if they`re simulated,if they aren`t I`ll try surrgest them to the good Chaps at PMDG during testing and see what they thinkJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Guest neil_b

The Failure system is something I've been eager to find out more info on.I'm not so fussed with the prettiness of the external model or the panel. What grabs me about the PMDG 747 is the complexity and realism. I'm desperately hoping for a failure system based on real-world failure rates. I really cannot wait :DNeil

Guest Ray CYYZ

While on the topic of failures ... can they be set randomly?This was one of the nice things PS1 has ... you didn't know what was going to break until it happened and then you were scrambling for the right checklist.Ray

>>I'm desperately hoping for a failure system based>on real-world failure rates.But then you would probably never see a failure before you got bored with the product. I know a United pilot with 20 years of experience and he told me he couldn't recall having any failure - he used to fly 737 and now he flies 767. If you want to practice failure recovery techniques you have to either have them "on demand" (like in commercial simulators) or set much higher probability of occurrance.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Ray,in short, YES, they can.You can set random # of failures per 10hrs flight, either for the entire failure set, or per system, or per category (transient/nuisance/severe etc.).You can also set a stop-check to allow this "randomness" to stop after a certain number of events have already occured.You'll get a kick out of the system... I promise :-).

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

>Ray,>>in short, YES, they can.>>You can set random # of failures per 10hrs flight, either for>the entire failure set, or per system, or per category>(transient/nuisance/severe etc.).>>You can also set a stop-check to allow this "randomness" to>stop after a certain number of events have already occured.>>You'll get a kick out of the system... I promise :-).You guys have done your homework. Don't forget the "tilt" light! ;)Bob...