Sign in to follow this  
Guest pellelil

OT: "Real life time schedule" during pre-flight

Guest pellelil

Ok this question is not strictly related to the PMDG B747-400, however the number of "Old Timers" and real pilots here at the forum might know the answer to this one, and based on the various requests/comments people here want it accurate ;-)I would like to know the order by which the various stages of the pre-flight (before takeoff) is handled and if possible when they occur (how long time before the takeoff). I realize these are not fixed times, however ballpark-figures (e.g. for the B747-400) would be nice.I guess the first step is at the dispatcher getting information regarding weather, flightplan, Fuel/Cargo/Passenger load, but since the Captain can request additional fuel I guess the actual fueling havent been done?. When does the actual loading of Fuel/Cargo/Passenger take place (and how long time does it take), When is the "walk-around" performed, when is the APU started (FlightPlan loaded/entered) - based on one of the beta screenshots the IRS takes up to 15 minutes to "adjust" so at least the cockpit is occupied 15 minutes before take off.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpgPelle F. S. Liljendal

Guest Simuflator

Hello Pelle,At the company where I fly the MD11 we have the following procedure/flow:1. Around 1:45 hours before pushback we arrive at the crewcentre.2. We register ourselves present for flight.3. We drop off our suitcase (don't want to forget that!)4. We go through our mailbox to see if there are some company notams etc.)5. We get our cash so we can have a drink (;-) at destination.This takes around 25 minutesThen we go to the planning station, where we meet our crew and drink some coffee before we do business.1. Printout of the briefingpackage from our dispatcher2. Checking of the FPL / Fuel / NOTOC / Aircraft deficiencies / PAX3. Checking of weather, and again the fuel4. Checking the Notams, and adjust fuel if neccesary5. Signing / Accepting the FPL and fuel, this also registers the amount of fuel to be uplifted. The fuel-man will take care of fuelling.6. Talking to former class-mates7. Filling in of the takeoff card (partially)This takes around 20 to 30 minutes normally.Then it's time to get screened by security and put your hat on....The long walk through the terminal to the gate... takes around 15 minutes (depends on where the previous crew left it)Setting up the aircraft takes normally less than 20 minutes so there is plenty of time left by now. So lets say we have 30 minutes:1. Cabin attendants are most of the time allready on board, so we do a walkaround of the cabin to introduce ourselves.2. We go to the cockpit and hang our jackets / hats.3. We check the CB's / Gearpins / Emergency equipment4. We check the nav bags (charts / AOM / BOM (watch your back, this one is heavy!))5. We check if maintenance has performed the preflight. And offcourse if there are deficiencies.6. We switch on the APU and IRS7. Either pilot does his own now (PF and PNF duties from here on differ, PF does FMS, PNF does overhead and other systems)8. If we are both ready we check each others actions.9. We read the Preflight and Preparation checklist including crewbriefing.We now wait for the PAX to complete boarding: normally they start boarding 20 to 30 minutes before departure.If they are all in, we get the Pax info list from the gate agent, we now have all the paperwork complete. It's time for pushback and startup!Hope this is an answer to your question, this is company standard so it should be the same for a 747!Greetings,Remco

Guest pellelil

Thanks Remco, that was the info I was interessted in and I'm glad you took the time to make it that detailed (better that I hoped for).However you "first" 5th item ("5. We get our cash so we can have a drink (at destination"), got me think of an old schetch (as I recall with Dean Martin) talking to a drunk airline pilot at the airport bar ;-)Once again, thanks.Pelle

Guest JamieG

Wow that is a lot more than we have to do for a lil C172. I always wondered how you do a preflight on the whole plane, I would assume you dont physically move the control surfaces by hand and extend the flaps, etc. at the gate? (I think I recall seeing pilots check the controls during taxi via the eicas/systems screens). Also, what does NOTOC stand for, is it NOtices TO Crewmembers--like NOTAMs but from the company?

Guest pellelil

Based on what I have seen in "Just Planes" and "ITVV" cockpit videos the control surfaces are "tested" either at the gate or during Taxi, and as you say it is checked on the EICAS (in "STAT" mode). Here you see some some "triangles" move up/down and left/right pictureng the "position" of the various controlsurfaces. http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpgPelle F. S. Liljendal

Guest JamieG

cool, thanks a ton!!any ideas on NOTOC?

Guest Simuflator

First of all let me stress that I believe there should NEVER be a drunk pilot at the bar... He should never be a pilot when he's drunk!NOTOC: Notice to Captain, a sheet containing all the dangerous goods and perisheable / animal cargo. So we know at what temp we have to set the cargo holds. If we get into trouble ATC requires from us the dangerous goods we have on board (like fire hazzards etc.)We actually don't perform the preflight Cessna-style. This happens only occasionally when there is no company- or hired maintenance team available i.e. when you diverted to an alternate which is normally not served by our company.It's true that we have a preflight checklist which requires us to check if the maintenance guy has done his work correct (it needs to be signed off). During taxi we check correct movement of the controls....Hope I clarified things!Remco

Guest JamieG

wow, awesome thanks a ton! You both really clarified things a lot. That makes sense that you would need to know the dangerous stuff if there are any problems (which, hopefully there are none of). Keep the dirty side down.