Sign in to follow this  
Guest BrianC

How about modeling a homebuilt/kit plane (EAA)

AllThere are some very exciting homebuilt/kit aircraft out there waiting to be modeled. The GlassAir comes to mind or maybe an RV-6 or 8. Abacus modeled a Glassair but well thats another story. The GlassAir III is one beautiful high performance A/C. Never Exceed Speed (VNE): 335mph Max Cruise / %Pwr / Alt: 280 mph / 75% / 8,000 Ft. Econ Cruise / %Pwr / Alt: 264 mph / 65% / 8,000 Ft. Max Climb Rate: 3,000 + FPM Stall Speed: 74 mph Range: 1100 Miles I would love to have this one in my hanger.

A Lancair IV pressurized version with a four bladed prop wouldn't be bad either! Of course in real life, I'll have to stick to the RV6A, as I don't happen to have an extra $300,000 around..........plus labor!L.Adamson

Well, $20 or so would not be too bad. FSD, DreamFleet are you listening? Man, either of those would be fun to fly. I was thinking today about my favorite planes and what is missing. If we could get the Archer II process for the cockpit in a high performance single engine plane would absolutely do it for me for a few months. Well maybe a month. Right now Im going through withdrawls. Gotta have some new stuff.BobG

I'm going to an jerk here, but why not try you hand at doing the aircraft yourself? If you have the pro version, there is Gmax, try it, you never know, you might like it.Just a thought.

DaveYes I have thought about it but it would be 2005 when I would be able to produce the quality that I would be satisfied with. I think if you asked dreamfleet or FSD how many man hours went into the 410 or the df737 or the Archer you may be a bit surprised. I am spoiled and will only fly very high quality A/C. These guys will spoil you andthe bar gets raised 4 times a year. If you could do it and produce the quality of the above mentioned A/C I will pay you $100.00 and that I promise. Scouts honorBobG

Bob,Dont waste your money :) I have made over 5 aircraft, but I keep them to myself. I know how hours have gone into designing aircraft. My first Lancair took me 4 months. The rest came faster as I got better using FSDS. Now Gmax, thats another story. :)To be honest with you, I dont need all the whining and carrying on that goes with creating aircraft or scenery. No matter how well something is made, there is alway one or two or a hundred, so called "EXPERTS" that would sooner hang you up by the short hairs, because there is no panel, the aircraft flies to fast,or the wheels dont turn, or the paint job isnt right. I will build for myself, and let the designers like POSKY and FFG, put up with the schmoes.Dave/KAZO

Same here regarding quality. I always want the best exterior visuals, flight models, VC cockpits (very important), & animated parts. Usually end up with products such as Dreamfleet, PSS, Flight1, FSD, & planning on the SF260 from RealAir simulations. Seems like producing a top notch model has to be a group effort these days.L.Adamson

>Seems like producing a top notch model has to be a group effort these days.Ahhhhh...but what an effort, eh! :)Global Capitalism at its finest!!!Cheers,bt

There's a Glassair payware available from Abacus....I've made both an RV-6 and 6A for FS 2002 and I have a Lancair IV-P thats for FS 2000 that works ok in 2002 (I really need to update it...)Brian

Guest BrianC

And I do enjoy your RV-6. It's a lot of fun flying while I dream about starting my own real RV project. :)