Sign in to follow this  
Guest jfarrer@telus.net

B1900C Repaint Question

Guest jfarrer@telus.net

Hey Guys and Girls:I'm trying to do a repaint on the 1900C and ran into a little quirk.In the repaint kit PMDG_1900C_fuse_t file there are additional componants to paint on the right side of the screen all on the level named 'Details'. They include the nosegear door and main gear doors. I've had no problem with painting either of these but the level also includes the antenna top and wiper post both of which end up on the front top of the fuselage. No matter what I do I can't seem to get either of them painted and they both end up white in the repaint. I checked the other liveries available for the 1900C, and they all appear to have the same problem. Does anyone know of a way to paint them or should I just learn to live with it?Jeff

Guest jfarrer@telus.net

Hi Pete:The little culprits are here on the fuse_t file. You could be right about the antenna post, I haven't got to the engines yet, but the wiper post is in the same location on the front upper fuselage. As I said, they both appear to remain white in all the repaints I've seen, and I've been unable to repaint them myself.00s1ru.jpgJeff

Jeff,sorry I wasn't clearer in my earlier post. Take a screenshot of the wiper post in the sim. Not sure what you're refering to on the plane.

Guest jfarrer@telus.net

Sorry for the tardiness in replying Mac, I had a couple of things to do over the last couple of days that required my attention (among them my B-day). I was mistaken in my last post, and what I thought was a problem you clarified with your original response. Unfortunately, a couple of other problems have reared their heads on the repaint and I'm hoping you can help me again.Below is the repaint I'm working on for our VA. As you can see, the fuselage, wings and most of the tailfeathers are done, barring a few changes I'll make later. The textures you see on the engines and other parts on that converted psd are the stock PMDG passenger textures. I started work on the engine psd which includes the white antenna posts as well as the top forward hatch and the engines themselves when I ran into problems.00f9zy.jpgWhen I first loaded the engines psd I got the screen in the following pic. After trying to paint the antenna posts several times only to have them come up blank on the repaint I noticed first that the file itself was named 1900_engines_t. Evidently it was misnamed in the repaint download. After I checked I found that the texture file in the standard texture folders was named pmdg_1900_engines_t so I started renaming the psd the same but it still came up blank after conversion.The second thing I noticed was that the alpha channels are actually listed as layers in the repaint psd. Is this correct or should they in fact be 'channels'? As it is, the only way I can seem to get paint onto the antenna posts and underside tailfeather wings is to place the paint layer above every other layer in the listing. Unfortunately this seems to also blank out the rivets, shadows, seams etc.01f8jd.jpgI think the problem is that the alphas are layers instead of channels, but I have no idea how to convert them from one to the other. Should I move the 'alpha layers' down the list to below the 'rivets and seams' etc. and place the paint layer between, or is there a better way to solve this problem?Thanks: Jeff

Guest jfarrer@telus.net

I tested things out a bit more and found that even if I place the working paint layer above all others the colours end up washed out, faded, and barely visible. I also tried cutting and pasting the alpha 'layers' into alpha 'channels' and then deleting the original layers, again...alas...with no result.

Save a copy of your original artwork in TGA format. Create a new channel in this file. Copy the alpha channel from your original artwork and paste it into the new channel in the TGA. Use imagetool to convert this TGA into a BMP. Fly. ;-)

Guest jfarrer@telus.net

Hmmm....should I merge the separate alpha levels first and then paste it into an Alpha Channel once it's converted into a Targa? I'm guessing you mean to save the original paint layers in the psd as a Targa without merging the layers.Rgds: Jeff

Yes, merge the alpha layers first. Saving in TGA will automatically merge the layers in the PSD file.