Sign in to follow this  
JaneRachel

Flight Dynamics -747-400

Hello Ben,I agree with you on flight dynamics being important. Its my pet thing too in FS2004 :)I am really pleased with the 744 flight dynamics at all ranges of aircraft weight and aircraft configuration. This pleasure is echoed by all the 744 pilots in the group.As you and I share the same priority, I dont think you will be disappointed as Im really pleased :)Jane-Rachel

- Jane Whittaker

Guest Babubhai

Same here, for me aerodynamics are one of the most important things as well.System simulation wise yes it something that I think can compete with PS1 level. However "realistic" aerodynamics have always been one of the biggest limitations in FS.How accurate are the climb, cruise and decent performance depending on different weight configurations when compared to real world data? And what about the different laws which affect the dynamics such as *Ground effect*Dihedral effect*Phugoid behaviour *Yaw*And many more laws which effect the aicraft's stability vertically and laterally and directionally.Are some of these even possible to model in FS...As Ben mentioned before what is the overall response of the aircraft like?How does it handle during taxing (espiaclly during turning?

Jane has flown real bird, I believe his answer shows what it's like don't you agree? Handles like a dream IMO although I have no idea how the real bird "feels". When the pilots are happy you know it is looking good ;-) But our work is not done because perfection is a difficult thing hehehe. [h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

Guest Babubhai

Ok, if real pilots who fly the 744 are happy...then I have no reason to complain.

>>*Ground effect>>*Dihedral effect>>*Phugoid behaviour >I am not sure if they are possible but are they really that important in a training simulator? :) Every commercial training simulator (flight, nuclear, fossil etc) I was associated with shared several attributes. They were all based on solid mathematics. All the dynamic and system models were simplified (from engineering models in the early days) to allow calculations in real time. They did not allow simulation to continue beyond non-empirical data (i.e. when you fly a commercial flight simulator into a mountain, simulation stops:)). The systems and math models were "optimized" to real world data. And finally the whole shooting match was

Guest Babubhai

I agree, you can have a good aerodynamic model based on tables only that can be comparable with real world data. But I also want that "feel" of flying an airplane, I want an immersive experience as well.The things I have mentioned are modelled in the Aerowinx PS1 simulator. The LDS 767 has stuff like ground effect modelled...How far can the PMDG team go...Also another thing I wanated to know was, will the different engine models effect the aerodynamics?

Guest ben_hewitt

Jane-Rachel and co thanks for the replies, that's great to hear! :)

Guest neeraj.pendse

Are you the Ben Hewitt of POSKY fame? If you are, do accept my personal and sincere congratulations for your work! The visuals on all POSKY models rival (some times exceed?) payware quality.I am surprised the "payware people" are not "borrowing" (for a fee of course) your models when they build their planes ...- Neeraj.

WOW, Flight Dynamics are important to me also, and this sounds excellent!Neeraj,Indeed that is the Ben Hewitt of POSKY fame, good friend of mine, and PSS ave got his services in thier upcomming releases, whenever that will be, and we all belive his work is high quality!Cheers

Guest ben_hewitt

Hello just a quick question about the flight dynamics for the 747. Are they going to be more realistic than the 737 which I find awfully difficult to hand fly and trim correctly?. The LDS 767 is the best example of fantastic flight dynamics where they have integrated a trim module to make trimming accurate and smooth. The 747 is notorious for having insensitive controls and being sluggish, is this so in the 747?Also a question about the flight director logic- has this been improved since the 737 where I get commands all over the place - I know you are not meant to chase the FD but the 737 is all over the place!!For me the Flight Dynamics are the most important element to realistic flight simming. ThanksBen Hewitt