Sign in to follow this  
jacsantos

Feeling of landing in the big lady ( weight) ?

Hi!I know that this feeling is rather subjective, but when we land in a heavy there is a sense of "flutuation" and one could feel the suspension slowly taking in the weight of the plane.the 737(PMDG) altough right on the numbers of both performance and handling, is stiffer on the landig feeling than the real one.Could we expect within the compromise of numbers/fs limitations/flight model, expect a litle more feeling "compression" of the landig struct?Ps: sorry but this is hard to explain( aren't all the feeling the same?)

Guest rcarlson123

Do you know of any existing simulator aircraft that can convey this feeling? I don't really see how it could be done, other than maybe having the descent appear to stop, then resume a bit longer as the gear suspension compresses. My bet is that it wouldn't give the same settling feeling ... it would just feel like a non-smooth descent to the runway, almost like a premature flare.

Guest neeraj.pendse

I understand the line of your thinking Jose, but: can your body even differentiate that in the real world? I mean the approach path is 500 fpm (or 700 fpm in a loaded 747) ... and after that when you actually touch down and compress the struts, is the 5 fpm or 10 fpm difference really going to matter when in the sim your chair is steady?I think you are confusing the Real-World feeling of deceleration with the strut compression also. Plus, I think the heavier airplanes land with a more positive thud than the lighter ones: (a) it is harder, (:( you do not have room to float much. So this "feeling" has a lot more to do with landing technique than the strut compression itself ...- NeerajPS: Boy we are splitting hair today!

I agree. I can't see how one can have any such "feeling" sitting in a chair in front of a monitor. And even I doubt pilots can really sense struts compressing - they are in the front of the aircraft, suspended above the ground (assuming large aircraft) and with all other motions, vibrations that come together with the landing strut compression may seem like a negligible event. One might think that passengers seated right on the wing should have the best feel of it.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Guest Babubhai

I think I know what you mean. Something I think you can "feel" with the LDS 767. During touchdown you can "feel" the aircraft shake and hit the runway...I think its something that can be achieved using sounds as well to create the touchdown and vibrating sound, and tweaking the FDE model to create this effect. Perhaps some of you guys using the LDS 767 may now what I am talking about. Like the original poster said it can be hard to explain sometimes.

I think I can give you an example: The Harald Nehring A310 when landing has a distict touchdown feeling, not stiff when compared to the vas majority of planes availabe, it settles down nicely when the flare is properly done, it reward our technique... and one can tell during the landing itself and also during the replay of it, it's smooth.... and does not seem to be a bad compormise between actual performace numbers and hadling to me...

Guest Jeff_DCA

I've never noticed the strut compression from inside an airliner. Not sure if it's noticable at all from the flight deck, but like i said, i've never noticed it from inside, only on the outside when actually seeing the struts compress.Cheers,Jeff

You guys didnt get it.Gee.OTHER FS PLANES DO THAT!!! IT'S NOT AN IMPOSSIBILITY AND DOES NOT REQUIRE A MOVING PLATFORM OTHER THAN AN ORDINARY CHAIR!!!.It's all about the sense of it VS the flight model limitations and handling characteristics. Its a compromise....And the question is about this suposed compromisse. IE:Will the 747 adhere strictly to published numbers, OR will it within some degree of "inacuracy" allow for some handling goodies/easter eggs.thank you.

Guest rcarlson123

>Here's what you need:>>http://www.simw.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=d...etails&pid=1299>>Movie here:>>http://www.simw.com/simware_images/picture...uMovienormal.wmThat's kinda cool, but would it feel much like the real thing? I don't think it would. When you bank a real airplane, your momentum pushes you into the seat and keeps you from "falling" towards the earth. In that rig, when you do a tight bank, there's no momentum to keep you in your seat, and gravity will pull you down, and you'd have a tendency to fall out of the seat. When I fly a real Cessna, I don't feel like I'm falling out of the seat when I do a tight bank. Same with climbs ... I don't feel like I'm falling towards the back of the plane, which you would with a stationary rig like this, since there are no climbing forces to keep you in your seat ... there's just the tilt of the seat platform.When they come up with a way to simulate g-forces due to banking turns and climbs, and negative g-forces due to pushing the nose over, etc, then I'll get a second mortgage and buy one. :)