Sign in to follow this  
Guest FattyBear

747 Beta Sounds

Guest FattyBear

We've all seen screenshots, we've all heard the great detail PMDG has put into this bird, and now I am wondering how the sounds are? Personally, I love a good sound set (not just engines, but all the little cockpit noises). If anyone on the beta team would like to answer, feel free. :)(p.s.: this doesn't need to turn into a thread about sitting in the cockpit sounds versus sitting on the engines versus the sounds from a DVD cockpit video. Thank you)

Sounds have been and are being tweaked for perfection ;-) there will be some options for levels etc. I have asked about the sounds since I have not heard a real 744 but the team's real 744 pilots seem to be very pleased with the soundset and that is always a good sign...PS- I REALLY LOVE THIS PLANE.[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

One sound I am really hoping is modeled is "the wailer" (I think that's what it is called). I believe it sounds when auto-throttle is disconnected and when fuel cutoff switch is activated, ie engine shut down. Sounds something like an electronic whoop, whoop, whoop. I think it's also used on the 777 as well for same functions.Knowing PMDG's attention to detail and having read the reviews so far it should be there.John EDMONDSONYBBN

One other little question I'll put in here is, I'm guessing other engine types are being modeled as well, so I'm guessing a seperate sound package aswell?Cheers

Guest dt1951

I'm kind of hoping they will leave the engines where they belong. Outboard under the wings, and below and behind the cockpit. Not in the cockpit.Dan

>I'm kind of hoping they will leave the engines where they>belong. Outboard under the wings, and below and behind the>cockpit. Not in the cockpit.>>Dan Ah Dan that only is true you are airborn then you cannot hear anything but LOUD WIND NOISE. On the ground it is by no means quite and without ENGINE NOISE..[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

Guest Boaz

There should be a large crowl rumble when take off thrust is applied Dan...I am looking for that something something... For starting the engines, not the spool up, but the igniters go click click click when they are starting. And a click from the power busses stopping the transfer of power from the APU to be from the engines.I know I know details details...But a guy here mentioned how much FDEs meant to him, well this is what means the most to me :()Boaz.

Guest FattyBear

That's kind of like the LDS...the sounds clickign when the power transfers and the screens blinking. That kind of environment really completes the sim for me.

I also notice that the rumble sound as the flaps are deployed isn't modeled in most aircraft. The Abacus ATP did many moons ago, and it was a nice touch.I guess it's because this sound isn't heard in the cockpit???Even if this is so, it seems odd not to hear some sort of wind sound as the flaps are extended.Bob Quick

Guest RollsRoyce

My favourite subject!I hope that unbelievably powerful and loud groan at max thrust is modelled in the interior sounds not to mention that beauuuutiful sound of the engines throttling back to climb thrust.I have a question. I have noticed that with many soundsets and commercial packages even, once climb thrust is applied, it takes several seconds before the engines actually do throttle back and you can hear the engine thrust note changing. Have PMDG modelled the sounds to be completely "insync" with the FMC when CLB is set?Bill

Guest Boaz

I don't expect the engines sounds to be sync'd with any guages... Correct if I am wrong ;)Anyhoo I feel that whine, strong whine and then growl and rumble rumble... Then rumble setlles and rwy noise and increasing wind rush...That's right LVD has the clicks and flickering screens! WOWI! Although the B744 has an extra click sound, do no why...And the flaps are NOT audible in the cockpit, only the rotating click from the flap leveler being set into it's positions.I have only heard the flaps when sitting very near to the wing. In Airbus sitting near the main gear you can hear the brakes saying pfffhh pffhhh every time the brakes are pressed... All I know who's flying with me looks at me when they hear that sound, just to check how I look ;)Boaz...

>There should be a large crowl "large" ???Matter of opinion. We have been through this subject before and some 744 pilots (I recall jon :( stated that it is very subtle and certainly not 'large'. Listening to sounds on the DVD confirms that - we have been through this before too. Hopefully there will be some adjustments for those sounds to satisfy individual tastes.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Guest Boaz

Michal relax man!I was simply trying to build up an explanatory version of what it is like, I wrote large, sorry, that is only inf you compare it to the engine noise at taxi... In constrast to that sound, yes large... Ok??I was getting exited and I wanted to inspire a memory in another sound hog like me's mind...Please stop worrying about those cockpit/cabin discussions, I know what you mean, and I think LOTSA others do too!Boaz...

This discussion turned into another excuse watch the descent portion of the ITVV Virgin 747-400 EGLL to KSFO video.Paying close attention to the sound, you can indeed hear a low rumble begin when flaps 10 is engaged. And a much more pronounced rumble when the gear is lowered.I don't have a NG video for comparison.I would imagine wearing headsets would filter out this sound for the pilots.Another thing I noticed was that the magenta line 'stuck' to the way points on the sharp turns leading to the approach, rather than smoothing around them. I wonder if this is an optional mode?I tried to take a screen shot of this on the DVD, but it comes out black. Copyright? There must be a way.

Guest Boaz

heh...I actually thought you were joking at first...The reason for it coming out black, is because it is in full screen.Try lowering it to mid size and take a snap shot.I am not sure what you mean about hearing flaps, flaps should not be audible from way up there, but again I am not a 744 pilot.I did watch the movie many times, but never come across flap sounds.Gear is of course audible, when the nose gear is much closer to the cockpit that the flaps, and you have a whole raise/lower sequence with a lot of air resistance.Boaz...