Sign in to follow this  
chiswick72

FS9 Booster for HT and Dual Core PCs

Hi guys,With all the potential 747 trainees getting ready to squeeze every ounce of cpu for their new queen...here is a little tweak to boost PCs which have Hyperthreading (HT) or "dual core" setups.Note, if you dont have HT then I DONT RECOMMEND using this... it will most certainly freeze up your machine!In a HT computer WinXP doesnt assign enough resources to a given application, and instead keeps a big chunk of usable cpu power as spare...more often its sitting idle doing nothing while the active resources chug to keep up with instructions! Fortunately there is a way to force WinXP to assign more CPU resources to a particular application, by way of a little file with a little instruction!By default in WinXP all applications run in "normal" mode, this tweak raises this default to either "high" or "realtime".Simply download the file and drop it into the FS9 folder, and doubleclick on the file...... it will automatically start FS9 for you and you are ready to go!Most users use the "high" file. Only use the "realtime" if you have a very powerful computer with lots of ram!!!http://www.veryquiet.com/fs9high.ziphttp://www.veryquiet.com/fs9realtime.zipAll the best!ArmenArmen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Thank you so much!!I have a P4 HT computer with 2,8 ghz, 1024 MB DDR RAM and a 512 MB videocard. Would you suggest the 'realtime' file to be suitable for my computer?Dirk

Guest michel2

Thank's very much Armen,I have a P4 3.2 Ghz with 1024 MB DDR RAM and an Ati X800 SE (128Mb) video card. I have noticed that when launching the realtime fs9, the aircrafts textures are very long to appear (about 45sec - 1 minute),but once there everything seems ok, while with the hight fs9 program , this is not the case and everything is at once ok.I think there must be a correlation between the realtime priority and maybe an insufficient amont of video memory ?...So thank's again and good flyjc michel

Hi Dirk,Give the first one a try and see if it improves the situation, then try the "realtime" one.Your system sounds like it can handle it but you also need to consider other apps running at the same time, like traffic and weather. Armen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guest neeraj.pendse

I normally just TURN OFF the HT, that way the whole CPU behaves like one. You can do this in Firmware Setup.- Neeraj

Guest garymccl

I take it that this is increaing the priority of the FS9 process? I used to do this quite alot until I started to use ActiveSky, and I am alittle worried since it will be running at a lower priority to FS9 and therefore may not be able to do all it needs to.

Guest Popart

Doesn't FSAutostart do the same thing?

Hi Arthur,Yes FSAutostart can do it too but that is a more complex bit of software which can do a number of challenging technical tasks.This is more drop the file in the folder and run!Armen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guest frankathl

Off topic, Dirk, but can you tell me what video card you use(I didn't know you could buy video cards with 512 Mb RAM)?Thanks,Frank

Guest Erups

NEVER NEVER NEVER ever dare assign realtime priority to anything but those system process already assigned realtime by windows itself.It will simply freeze evrything else, i really mean everything else.All the more with such a resource hog as FS.My 2 cents

Hello frank,It was a mistake, it's Geforce 6800 256 MB. I do not get an improvement on framerate or loading time with the 'high' file. I tried with HT turned off and no difference. Dirk

Guest rnj slinger

when you have everything running (i also use fsautostart), and you push ctrl-alt-del, a pop up appaers. You then can select affinnity (cpu 0 or 1) and process priority. now my question is with a pent 4.2 HT, with 1024 mb and ati 9800 pro 256, should i select 1 cpu for fs9 and 1 cpu for all the other programms (i only run fs9, and ivap on my main pc, all others on a second one). Or should i disable ht in boot menu,and when i put fs9 on realtime, will ivap run ok.i really need a powerboost regards rickmaybe this should go to a other forum?

>NEVER NEVER NEVER ever dare assign realtime priority to>anything but those system process already assigned realtime by>windows itself.>It will simply freeze evrything else, i really mean everything>else.>All the more with such a resource hog as FS.>My 2 centsErups, no it will not do that on HT system. Rest becomes a bit laggy, but long from crashing and freezing. I just tried it yesterday, and I can report that I saw no improvement in high or realtime.

Guest frankathl

Ah, I see. Thanks, Dirk.BR,Frank

Erups, modern HT machines wont even lag at 100% cpu resources usage! A lot has changed since single cpu computers!One good way too see how much idle cpu capacity there is on an HT system is to rightclick on the task bar and select task manager, let it run for half an hour while you fly then have a look at it.Even at "fullpower" FS9 barely will use 50-70% of the cpu's resources, leaving a big chunk for other tasks.This idle chunk is more apparent on a very powerful HT machine, eg my overclocked p4 3.6 with 1024 corsair ram , and a gainward GF6800GT 256meg running well into 6800ultra speeds, giving great 3dmark01 and 3dmark03 scores of typically 28,000 and 14,000 respectively.On such a machine the tweaks do make a difference because even with ASV, UT2004, FSNAV, SB3, Servinfo, Afcad, Jepessen, custom textures/airports running in the background there is still plenty of spare cpu power left doing nothing!These tweaks are for powerful HT machines which demonstrate large idle chunks of cpu wastage! Ya might aswell use it if its there doing nothing!:-)Armen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer