Sign in to follow this  
craig_read

New - PMDG 747-400 Tutorial

211 pages of pure bliss well done mate!If i were you i'd be looking at making a video version!something like the AoA dvd!Great stuff mateJosh..

Cheers Josh Cliff

Thanks againI did think about making a video.. but I don't really have the software for it.. I've not tried fraps before.. and I don't have any video editing tools.. I might look into it though.. since AOA sell theirs for $35 a go!.. lol.. might get some pocket money out of it.. heheAs for the 737NG.. I've not even bought that aircraft.. lol.. I was only really interested in the bigger birds.. I might think about it.. but until I've got some more cash to play with other things will take priority before I pay for the NG and write for that..One of the main reasons I did this was to learn about the aircraft myself.. I wanted to know where my explainations fell short.. and then correct accordingly.. It is intended that this be as much a learning exercise for me as it is for you..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Craig..... what can i say that hasn't been said - BRILLIANT! Many thanks. So often i've wanted to know WHY as well as when and how. I can only imagine the number of hours you put into this.Having now printed this, a suggestion? If at all possible, could 1.1 be a printable UPGRADE rather than REPLACEMENT item..... Is it possible to replace just individual pages, rather than reprint the whole thing?

Phil,Yeah I apprecaite that the whole thing is a bit big to go about re-printing over and over again... What I will do is.. (if you like).. the next time I update the tutorial I will edit and produce 1.1... I will also produce two additional docs.. 1.. will detail the changes.. and 2.. will just be a compilation of those changes and their relevant sections.. So you can simply print that off as a suppliment to the original 1.0..Been thinking about my next project, and chatting to a friend of mine.. and I think.. I am going to do a EGSS circuit.. manual and automatic.. And in this I think I will include some failures too.. But I've got a thesis to write so I'm probably going to take a while doing this!.. lolWe'll see how it goes..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Just want to add my name to the ever growing list of appreciators Craig?Great reading, I got as far as page 70 last night and still only had the APU running. ;-)Your expertise programming the FMC tells me that you MUST have had some reality experience?Once again, thank you for the time and effort you spent doing this. It's the best yet.

Dave Taylor gb.png

CraigThanks very much for the tutorial. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are prepared to give up their valuable free time to help us enjoy our hobby. You have a few beers from me anytime you're in Warsaw.Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Hi,Thanks again for more replies.. I'm pleased you're all enjoying it.. Dave T.,No reality experience for me I'm afraid.. I've learnt pretty much everything from reading and various SOPs I've read.. as for FMC functionality.. it took some time to master the system but I think I have the hang of it all now.. I've learned a lot from the occasional use of PS1.3A..I appreciate there is probably a lot of information in there and that reading is time consuming.. Keep the sim paused when you're reading the explainations and then unpause when you're ready to do something.. in particular in preflight.. As for the flight itself.. give the takeoff sections a read.. and then have a go yourself..Gavin,Thanks.. I'm glad you like it.. I originally planned to write it just for me.. but decided to circulate it in the end..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Guest hangar744

Hi Craig,Nice piece of work indeed. I think it is a really good reading material for those who want to take it one step further, rather than just

Delcom,A few errors have been pointed out so far.. I want to include a more detailed description of the hydraulic systems on the aircraft.. I thought I might have made some mistakes.. But if you've found it to be wrong... since that's how I thought it worked then it means I'll learn something new!.. Which is exactly why I wrote it..I'll have a good nosey at some hydraulic system details and update for the next version.. Thanks for taking the time out to reply and inform me of the error..I had a look at your site.. it's pretty interesting really.. I'd love to undertake a project like that.. for myself.. Would be the ultimate dream to have your own full motion wouldn't it..If I ever win the Euro millions I'll look into it!One question.. I've seen this display before.. but look here.. http://www.nippoo.net/viewtopic.php?t=100What is the EICAS page? Obvsiouly it's not simulated on the PMDG.. (or is it?) But I'd like to know about it too..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Delcom,If you have anymore stuff like this.. I'd like to take a look at it and learn some more..I'm currently scanning some information about the hydraulic systems.. I'm going to include some more information in my next revision..If you have any suggestions of online sources besides smartcockpit.. please let me know..Thanks againCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Hello Craig,I'm about to get into your excellent piece of work but, as I said to you elsewhere - Well Done! Its great!And my thanks on behalf of British Airways Virtual for allowing us to host the file as well.I'm flying the 744 off to Hong Kong over Saturday night, departing Gatwick at 20:10 UTC so I'll get lots of time to have a good look whilst in the cruise!Take care - and well done!Cheers,Lee James

Lee James
Desktop Pilot - www.virtualairlinepilot.org

Instagram - virtualairlinepilot_lee
Check out my Adventure Videos & FS Reviews on YouTube at VirtualAirlinePilot !

spacer.png

Hello Craig, I've read your tutorial and found it very interesting.I'd like to take the opportunity to point you to another tutorial made by a French fellow (Dr K) one year ago, which I found also to be an impressive work (around 640 pages) more visual but with at least very precise information too.Fortunately it's in French, but have a look it deserves it.http://drk.free.fr/tutoriels/200512/B747_1.phphttp://drk.free.fr/tutoriels/200512/B747_2.phphttp://drk.free.fr/tutoriels/200512/B747_3.phpOlivierVersailles, France