Sign in to follow this  
Guest pranavkumarz

Flying Circuits

Guest pranavkumarz

Can the NG be configured via the FMC for circuits around an airport? Question, is how to programme it for local flights.Thanks,Pranav

Guest pierre974

You have the STAR procedures to help you (standard terminal arrival route), and each waypoint can become a holding point (if the airport is very busy it can be useful, or if you are too high or too fast to begin a safe approach).To use the holding procedure, go into the FMC, at the "hold" function, and enter the desired waypoint selected to become a holding point. When you want to exit, go back to the "hold" function and select "exit hold". Don't forget to "exe"...And that's all, now you are ready for a great landing...

Guest martyleach

If you're flying circuits, then all you really need is to enter the weights and takeoff data into the FMC. You don't need anything else.Flying a SID/STAR will take you miles out of the airport zone, thus not really being a circuit at all.Take off -> climb to a specific altitude (or even flight level). Turn crosswind, turn downwind, turn base, turn final, land. This can either be handflown, or just by manipulating the heading via the autopilot.Of course, you may want to setup things like ILS/VOR/NDB details to guide you back in, just incase you get lost. I guess you could even dial in which runway you want to land at within the FMC; that way, this will be displayed on the ND, as well as the extended runway centre line.Easy.If you need more help, feel free to ask.Regards,

Guest Robin.B

All of the above,And it is possible to enter the Destination and Arrival airport as the same airport and then add some waypoints between. This way, you can depart, follow your preprogrammed FMC route to turn you around the airport, then you can select a runway/Vref/enter the ILS freq. and land :)

Guest Knikolaes

Aye, I hand flycircuits for practice but use the FMC for weight data and fuel calcs for A/T use. As far as everything else, what I will do when "testing" systems operation or even an approach at an airport (I write scenery as well so I do this a lot) is enter the GPS approach for the aport or the local ILS transition and hand fly the plane out far enough to intercept and let the AP take her back in.Hand flying local circuits, however, should be just as easy as hand flying them in a GA aircraft IN THE SIMULATOR (I can attest to the HUGE difference in real life on that part). The only difference is speeds, reaction time, and assessment of the other common factors such as approach angles, etc.Also, hand flying circuits helps you better coordinate yourself for those days when you are doing an FMC approach and ATC decides to send you someplace unexpected, usually for traffic avoidance or a change in runway assignment at the last minute. This may not happen in the sim due to ATC limitations, but sim-wise it's great to have her at your moment's whim when ATC is vectoring you on an IFR approach and they do those 50,000 "turn right, turn left" commands that they love to do.I will admit in Circuits I use A/T tomanage speed and will sometimes use ALT hold to stabalize my "straight and level flight", but I try to handle her as much as I can by hand in the pattern for realism as well as personal hand/eye coordination for better flying the actual routes with readiness.

Guest EDCS

Yepp,I often jump in "my" good old DF Archer and flying circuits for training. I use the VC for that. So I can change my View easy an I become a good feeling for the point to change your direction.And as said before, the low speed allow you to use yor instruments the right way. Best wishesStefan