Sign in to follow this  
Guest captaingrice

744 Rolls Royce

Guest captaingrice

Hi Beta team,Just wondering, how is the RR version of the aircraft coming along? Sorry if its already been asked, I do remember that funny picture of a 744 with 4 RR cars hanging as engines, but seriously, any info would be appreciated.Maybe a picture or two of the RR version? No rush, take your time chaps. The aircraft is looking superb!Steve G

Guest Robin.B

I've been told that those Rolls Royce cars are going to be replaced by something different as they seemed to not be able to produce enough thrust...lol, I would also appreciate some information on this as my first long haul will most likely be with RR engines :)

Guest captaingrice

LOL! I know Rolls Royce cars are good, but I think it would take more than four to get nearly four-hundred tonne of the ground!Steve.

I don't know how do you guys manage thrust settings with EPR readouts.. While it's more precise to scale actual power than N1, It's also much confusing, i.e. In 727, takeoff with ~1.90 EPR and Cruise is ~2.20 EPR. I'm used to fly my NG like ~%90-95 N1 in takeoff, then %80-85 N1 in crusie..

Me too guys!The RB211-524 powered bird is the only one I will be flying for months!British Airways all the way!!!!One question... I was in the Terminal 4 lounge the other day, noticed a Qantas 747-400ER but I was suprised to see it didnt have rolls royce engines, like the earlier Qantas -400s.Anyone know why they stopped using RR ? Especially when BA owns a big stake.Armen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guest captaingrice

Good question. All I know is the Qantas 744ER's are using GE CF6-80C2-B5F engines. I can only think it is a newer, more efficient engine. Remember the RB211-524 has been powering certain 744's for a long time. BA's first 744 (G-BNLA) was delivered on 30/06/1989. Remember, not many carriers opted for the 744 RR variant. I can only think of BA, Qantas, New Zealand Airways, South African, Cathay Pacific, and the cargo carrier Cargolux. Any more? I'm willing to learn.I wonder, are RR actually still producing the RB211 family? Steve.

I beleive the -400ER exclusively uses the GE engine, therefore Qantas had to have that engine. I guess RR were unwilling to develop a higher thrust variant, for a model that doesn't have a big market :-(As far as I know, it is still in production the RB211, and so it should be, I know it'll be powering my Queen :-) 3 spool power :-)

Alaister Kay

Thanks for the info Steve and Alaister!Yes yes three spools all the way here too!Looking out for the N3 readings! :-)All the best.Armen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guest yylie1

Spot on fellas! The B747-400ERs are only offered with the GE engines. If I am not mistaken so are the B747-400ERFs as well. Hard to see down this path of the freighter as the operators of the 747-400ERFs are traditionally GE engine operators anyway, being Air France and KLM.Hope that helps,Melissa

Wow,So whats happend to P&W ? Werent they the primary engine provider for the 747-100/200/300/400 ?Armen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer