Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stanner1953

NG 737 600-700 Engine Failure while In Flight ...

Guest Stanner1953

On three occassions, I started the flight with about 2,000 lbs in each wing tank, and 8,000 lbs+ in the center tank. When the fuel ran out of the wing tanks, both engines cut out while in flight. I noted that the wing tanks were empty, but that there were 8,000+ lbs remaining in the center tank. 1. I thought that the fuel would flow automatically from the center tank to both engines. If this does not happen automatically, then how do I get the engines to draw from the center tank? Do I do something with the crossfeed switch on the Overhead Panel? If yes,what? Thank you.Stanner

Guest neeraj.pendse

Engines feed from the wing tanks. If you want to feed from CENTER tanl, you have to turn on the transfer pumps -> two switches are located right above the 4 Wing Tank Switches in the LEFT/Bottom corner area of the Overhead Panel.Hope that helps.- Neeraj

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you want the fuel in the wing tanks and not the center tank anyways?

Guest Stanner1953

Mike,The center tank is required because the wing tanks alone cannot carry the necessary fuel.The question was how to get the center tank to feed the fuel, was it done automatically, or did it require a crossfeed adjustment. Stanner

Guest frankathl

Hi Stanner,As pointed out, you must have the center fuel pump switches on to draw fuel from the center tank. With all 6 switches positioned to ON, fuel is drawn first from the center tank, then equally from each wing tank.Note, though, that you should fill your wing tanks to capacity before putting any fuel in the center tank(This helps to relieve stress on the wing roots.). The wing tanks in the NG have a capacity of 8,630 pounds, so, with a 12,000 pounds fuel requirement, you should put 6,000 pounds in each wing tank and nothing in the center tank(I think this is the point that Mike was making(?)). You should only load the center tank if your fuel requirements exceed 17,260 pounds.If using fuel from the center tank, you must turn off both fuel pump switches when fuel quantity reaches 1,000 pounds(to reduce risk of explosion!). Actually, it

Guest Stanner1953

Frank,Thank you.Stanner

>The wing tanks in the NG>have a capacity of 8,630 pounds, so, with a 12,000 pounds fuel>requirement, you should put 6,000 pounds in each wing tank and>nothing in the center tank(I think this is the point that >Mike was making(?)). You should only load the center tank if>your fuel requirements exceed 17,260 pounds.>>BR,>Frank>That's what I was trying to say Frank. Just wasn't sure on any of the numbers.

Guest frankathl

Right, Mike!No 1 Tank 8,630 poundsNo 2 Tank 8,630 poundsCenter Tank 28,803 poundsTotal Fuel Capacity 46,063 poundsBR,Frank