Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stanner1953

SID/ STARS how to select correct one for runway????

Guest Stanner1953

Genttlemen:How does one select the correct SID or Star for a particular runway?I know that the PMDG manual (737NG 600-700) states to pick the runway first on the FMC and then go over to the left side (iL), and pick the first SID/STAR. However, I find that when following these instructions, I sometimes get an erradic route that makes no sense.I have tried looking at the SID STARS charts, but usually cannot pick one that seems to correspond to the runway I am using.Can anyone give me some simple advise on how to do this 1. By looking at the SID/STARS charts,2. When using the PMDG FMC for the 737NG 600-700Thank you. Stanner

Guest WA

Make sure you have the latest SID/STAR and airac cycle from navdata. Each runway has a set of SIDs..by picking the rwy first in the FMC only the SIDs available for that particular runway are visible.You can pick either one, however...there can be a SID which is mostly suited for a for example departure to the east...and another one to the west. If your route is easterly and you pick a SID which is really ment for west departures, the plane will happily fly it but it's as you sat...not logical.Each SID will have an end point, your route will have an entry point.Pick a SID where the end point of the SID and the entry point of the route are close together and close the gap if you have to in the FMC. You usually have to check maps to do this.For example, a route from EHAM to EGLL, a first point/entry point of my route could be gorlo, so when i pick a SID..the GORLOXX SID is the most appropiate choiceThe only thing which is a tad annoying in the NG, not sure if this is a bug or normal, once you have picked for example a rwy and you exit the dep/arr page to do something else before you select a SID...once you select dep/arr again...the runway will still be selected but the FMC will show all SIDs instead of the ones which go with that particular runway.Cheers,Willem

Guest Stanner1953

Willem,Thank you for the comments. I will try to follow your advise.Stanner

Guest speight

If you use the auto route function in FSNAV, it will give the correct SID/STAR and route.

Remember that the FMC displays "availble" runways for that rwy after selection of a rwy in the FMC but that does not mean that every sid+star is used or desired (as it is in rl too). What you need is a good flight plan, the best are based upon rw airline routing..[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]