Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Vala

Last graphics card question !!

Guest Captain Vala

First let me tell you guys about my system. Right now I'm running a pentium 4 2.4GHZ, 512 ram and a Geforce 4 MX. I earlier started a thread and asked questions about the brands of graphics cards, but now I've got somewhat a different question.Looks like with my current motherboard, I'm stuck to AGP slots, and I'm not planing on putting too much money into this system because I'm gonna have to get a new computer sometime soon anyways.About the memory, I'm going to add another gig of ram so I'll have 1.5I've been researching graphics cards and the Nvidia GF6 6200 and the Radeon 9550 seem like good and affordable to me.1) Which one is better ?2) Is it worth adding another $100 to get maybe a 6600 AGP even though I'm gonna get a new computer in 4-5 months from now ?3) Is my system's performance going to change all that much even after all this upgrade or are the CPU and Motherboard totally out of the picture and will slow everything down ?I WOULD LIKE TO THANK WHOEVER HELPS VERY VERY VERY MUCH :D Vala

Guest brettdonahue

>First let me tell you guys about my system. Right now I'm>running a pentium 4 2.4GHZ, 512 ram and a Geforce 4 MX. >>I earlier started a thread and asked questions about the>brands of graphics cards, but now I've got somewhat a>different question.>>Looks like with my current motherboard, I'm stuck to AGP>slots, and I'm not planing on putting too much money into this>system because I'm gonna have to get a new computer sometime>soon anyways.>>About the memory, I'm going to add another gig of ram so I'll>have 1.5>>I've been researching graphics cards and the Nvidia GF6 6200>and the Radeon 9550 seem like good and affordable to me.>>1) Which one is better ?>>2) Is it worth adding another $100 to get maybe a 6600 AGP>even though I'm gonna get a new computer in 4-5 months from>now ?>>3) Is my system's performance going to change all that much>even after all this upgrade or are the CPU and Motherboard>totally out of the picture and will slow everything down ?>>I WOULD LIKE TO THANK WHOEVER HELPS VERY VERY VERY MUCH :D>> ValaHere is my thought, if you are planning on purchasing a new box in the next couple of months, then wait until you get your new box. Unfortunelty I would guess that upgrades you make to this "older" machine will not be able to be dropped into the new one. Memory speeds between 2.4GHz and lets say a 3.4GHz are quite different. So if are spending funds on new RAM and new video card it will be a 3-4 month short term investment. I would take the funds and put it towards the new box. Bretthttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

I agree with Brett, if the new PC is only a couple of month away save your money for that one instead.Happy flying!

Richard Åsberg