Sign in to follow this  
michal

beta shots - allow or not?

Guest PoGoDuDe

>..These are precisely the types of ill-informed threads>that make me consider putting the beta team under a no-posting>policy. RR.>>I admit I have little in common with folks who show>fascination with wipers, virtual cabin, glare shields or in>how many places wing flexes.>>On the other hand there are plenty of sharp eyes around here>and as recent experience showed they can point out some hard>to see inaccuraries in places where it matters - like>for example this PFD idiosyncrasy.>>So getting some feedback may not be a bad idea. If you shut it>down you may throw the baby out with the bath water. It cuts>both ways. Honestly I don't know what is better for the>project.>>Michael J.>WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB>Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2>http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg>http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpgwell, i think a lot of people are judging the pics in terms of their personal preferences. that is ok as along as it is constructive critisim, however i dont think they are "flaming" the developers for minor shortfalls. these people will have to wait till the queen is released and check out those details themselves. i'm sure PMDG will have 99.99999% correct modelling of every aspect of the Queen.on a sidenote, perhaps the beta testers could lock the thread so no comments would be made?***TONY K.O***

Guest Paul Heaney

There you go Pete. That's all I was asking. If Randazzo wanted to lock the thread because we posted a Legit question, then so be it. He's been VERY Beligerant to me in the past, so he shouldn't comment about others. But this is not the place for that.That's all he had to do, I'm sure everyone can agree, you'd need a microscope to see those wipers in that shot.If he wants to make a big deal out of it, then so be it. PMDG makes great AC, but their people skills are less than admirable.

Personally....I think anyone who raises a stink over WIPERS needs to go back and find themselves a copy of FS 4.0 and mess with that for a while. Heck, i'll go even newer and say FS 5.1 - i still have the MS-DOS, 3.5" floppy version of that in my basement. Go play with those for a while, then come back here and complain about wipers being too small.How quickly some can forget just how good we have it these days....

Guest falcon99

>Peeeeeeeanuttttttsssssssss --- Yummmmmmmmmmm Under the guise of realism and nit pickiness concerning realism, we here in the PMDG forum refer to them by the proper term "Pilot Pellets". :-lolGeorgehttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

Guest Knikolaes

>>Peeeeeeeanuttttttsssssssss --- Yummmmmmmmmmm >>Under the guise of realism and nit pickiness concerning>realism, we here in the PMDG forum refer to them by the proper>term "Pilot Pellets". :-lol>>George>>http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg**chuckles**THAT can sound wrong in a few ways . . . . I like it.

I am normally a quiet and relaxed kinda guy...When someone starts a reply with "If Randazzo...", though, it gets on my nerves and ruins my calm, serene inner peace.Dear Mr. Heaney, next time you want to refer to someone you don't know by their last name that way, do NOT expect that you will be treated in a respectful manner in return.Consider this a fair warning. This is a civilized forum, and you should be the LAST person in here to discuss people skills, if I judge by that response of yours.

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Thank you Mr. Kalamaras, well said... It is a pleasure to visit this forum just because it is polite; as well as being informative and intersting. (just don't mention windscreen wipers though!) }(Regards,Gustav.

Guest neil_b

The problem is that theres 2 real groups of FS fans. The looks group, and the realism group.The looks people have every display setting maxed out, refuse to fly to anywhere they don't have scenery for, and post screenshots on airliners.net all day. However, they probably fly with GPS direct routing, take off with near tail-strikes, overspeed and assume the only way to land is by hitting APP.The realism people spend an hour preparing the aircraft, going over checklists, checking systems religiously, flying the exact procedures, flying with real ATC, and get upset if their pilots shirt is still in the wash. However, they don't care for scenery (much), posting screenshots, nor whether they is an option for having ice in the drinks in the virtual cabin.Personally, I feel PMDG is aimed more at the realism nuts, but they do a fine fine job with the looks too.I do think some people have gone OTT with regards to stuff that is "wrong" recently, but the praise outweighs all that.*some portions of this post not to be taken seriously

Guest aarskringspier

What makes these sims so nice is the detail in visuals and in realism. Im in both camps. I rarely fly into airports I dont have scenery for because well I just dont want to. However, I set up my aircraft with a checklist from the airline I fly with because that is fun for me.

Guest Knikolaes

Neil,Not sure what about your post would not be to be taken seriously. It's all good stuff, and you are precisely correct on all of it.I for one am a realism nut, but I do admit I love looks too . . . to a point.Terrain and scenery I love for procedural purposes and to give me the feeling I am actually flying "someplace". Nothing like a full procedure approach to Sion, Switzerland in moderate weather with Switzerland Professional installed.Looks of the VC I love because I am a hardcore VC flyer, but I balance that evenly with the importance with the functionality of the cockpit **smiles** The "prettiness" doesnt matter at all if I can't function in it. It's like showing you a toy but you are stuck in a straight jacket and cant use it -- just look at it. So functionality is an absolute must for me. But that eye candy adds so much more to the feel.I could care less about a cabin, but on the other hand I DO use the cabins that are included. I just downloaded -- erm -- I forgot what the heck it's called -- Fraps or something liek that -- and registered it so I can get the most out of it, and for the sake of my friends that DON't fly or understand my love for flying, I am going to make some video clips to email them. Of course, we are talking about friends of mine that have the impression that flight sims are "a few guages and a picture of a horizon and you stare at nothing for hours".On a very long flight -- transoceanic to be more in example, I tend to liek to wonder a bit. If the AC I am using has just the VC, I'll pay attention to the flight, but on such a long flight I have a tendency to get up and do something like cook a quick meal, etc. during cruise.With things like a cabin I tend to stay at the computer and wonder around more "playing" with gadgets in the environment and getting screenshots to do aviation art with (I love to draw and have been using FS as an inspiration to do an aviation line of work).So . . . yes . . eye candy is awesome, but so is functionality.So I do believe that i would fit into a THIRD catagory of simmers . . . those of us who balance both aspects evenly. She's gotta make me feel like I am in the real thing, but she also has to FLY and function like I am in the real thing as well . . . okay . . . as close to thwe real thing as FS can get you anyway.It is just such balances that has won my heart for PMDG's B737NG, then the 1900D, then the 800/900, then the 1900C. Other add-ons such as the LDS 767 and Flight1 ATR have me in the same pool of respect and admiration. PSS, Carenado, Dreamfleet, Eaglesoft, Digital Aviation, Feelthere, Perfect Flight and FSD have also kept me busy for hundreds of hours for the same reason :-)

Guest tg272

Sorry about coming in late on this one.....IMHO, as a developer and beta tester, anything that's published in the forums should be considered "nice-to-see" information. Information or images that the marketing element of the development team has seen fit to publish for a reason -- direct interests in the product to specific areas, ease the waiting time for a product (uh, sorry guys!!), solicitation of ideas that would help the beta team and decisions concerning future direction, etc., etc. -- is just fine and should periodically be available.If, and it's a big IF, the developers convey that they are NOT looking to beta test images of unfinished textures, gauges, and other features, etc., then they can easily decide to use the comments made about these things to whatever extent they wish. Just don't tell people that their input is asked for in the forums. Let them discuss the beta shots and take from that discussion the good stuff.People will see that there really is a product whose progress is noticeable, but they won't know for sure if what they are seeing will be contained in the finished product until it comes out or whether their comments are in there, too!Cheers,http://www.fspassengers.com/images/sigi/bart.jpg

Guest Knikolaes

Bart,Saw your banner for FSPassengers -- wow -- was reading up on that in Computer Pilot -- looks interesting **smiles**

Guest yylie1

Hahaah! Yeah those wipers do look a little thin and small. Since the PMDG guys are doing their final beta "exhaustive" testing now on the B747-400 how about doing a remedy to this? After all what are testing for if bugs like this are discussed about but nothing done? Might as well release it now?Regards,Melissa

Guest neil_b

Your Opinion != Bug

Guest stonetemplepilot

I usually do not post on the forums except for technical support and technical participation.I'm getting really fed up with the different arguments about what is going to be a major "improvement for fs enthousiast".melissa people don't give a #### if your father is a real 747-400 captain,but if if it is true we understand that he is not here too often to teach you about good manners ...so i believe you!You definitely should reserve your comments for people's magazine,i'am sure they carry plenty of mediocre exemple of individuals like you...So please shut the f*** up!Guys are working here to put out a commercial product like nome other.any of you should go buy themselves a few hours of the real simulator and ask the instructors about the size of the wipers (give me a call i'd like to be there for the answers!)Compare what is comparable,i'm personaly more concerneed with the acuracy of the cockpit rather than with ouside apearance of the plane.The main goal is to fly isnt'it??After all if you don't like the product just don't buy it that's it!!!I understand here that everyone is hardly trying to put pressure on the dev team to get his personnal homemade addon.The addon is supposed to fit in a certain fs standard and also a price as well as fs limitations.There are plenty of flying schools in the us,why don't you guys try become professional pilots instead of becoming professional ####****s (with an s please!)It s' easy to have a disgusting atitude being behind a screen ,what about flying real planes(hummmmm..a bit more guts...).As of the airbus boeing thing it's a matter of taste,culture and maturity.(as usual!)They both investigate on the same technology,and use the same software to develop their plane "catia" developed by the french company "dassault aviation".i don't think their engineers are having such harsh discussions on the matter...The flying world is as big as the skies there are plenty of space for the narrow minded f**** as well for the very opened skillfull and imaginative people.There is a french say that says: "it is stupid to cut the branch you' are sitting on"This is exactly what you guys are doing,someday, pmdg wil just call it off being fed up,and if it ever happens i would understand (i would have done so a long time ago).Please pmdg care about the people who care.Didi"a mile of road takes you mile..a mile of runway takes you anywhere...""we talk like lions but we sacrifice like lambs..."Ps:the only person not doing his job at pmdg is the forum moderator but on the other hand all of this is so childish...i understand..For the ones who would like to slack me on my english i'm a non native so don't waste your time....go see some girls..drink a few beers ...go fly...go streetfighting... go play some drums i do all of that...keeps me mellow and sometimes polite...but always respectful....(few punches on your nose brings you back to earth quite efectively!)