Sign in to follow this  
machie

AutoPilot approach mode disconnect

Hi AllThis problem is driving me crazy---I fly a flight using a flight plan done in FSNav

Hello, In case you are under the same false impression about the APP LIGHT going out (not sure that you are but here goes) the light goes out does not mean you have left anything (well other than you have reached G/S) please always confirm MODE enagement on your FMA on the PFD, not on the MCP (Ok in the sim what does that matter eh ;-) ) But good habits make good pilots. The A/P does not dial any speed after you leave VNAV (only time it will actaully do it) there is no way 100 knots would be on the MCP. Best to post a screenshot the moment this happens. Remember that this AFDS is nothing like anything else for FS for 737s. This AFDS works like the real one, in one area like GLIDE SLOPE CAPTURE the pilot has to manually control the SPEED, in other words you dial in VREF + 5 and can keep throttle MAN or AUTO depending on other factors..Cheers,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

Hi RandyI think that I understand--I will try and fly a few approaches tomorrow and watch a few other things with care--I am a real life pilot but do not understand these glass cockpits--I am in the learning phase--at least I do understand the instrument approaches--so now it's time to learn the computers--I will look around for the Vref chartsCheersDorn Cranert

Hello again Dorn, Some hints for approachA: If you plan to intercept the final approach segment from an angle -ARM LOC - after LOC engages ARM APP (You want lock prior to G/S for saftey reasons). ARM speed brake - set A/B.B: If you are coming head on establish either in LNAV or HDG SEL then ARM APP.C: What you want to do is be at the correct altitude for the FAF (Consult approach chart here) for G/S capture (One dot down and go flaps 15 GEAR DOWN -MCP speed set to about 180 or so). After G/S capture the APP light goes out and the WHITE "G/S" turns green on the FMA meaning it is now armed. You must then manually engage the second A/P (Autopilot button A or B depending on which you have engaged) prior to 800 RA or it is locked out. Once you capture G/S, you can ARM the secound A/P **and** after passing 1500 RA on the slope you will see some flashing on the Pilot's Flight Display (AFDS performing checks etc). Slow to VREF+ 5 Landing flaps (unless there is more wind then you would want more speed). This will get you to the runway all in AUTO. The A/T will disconnect 5 seconds after T/D and you can push F2 for reversers. Before 60 knots push F1 (70 knots) and manually apply brakes. There is no centerline guidence on the NG series so you must manually steer the aeroplane. [h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

Hi RandyIt is late here in California--I will try all of this out tomorrow--as it is a holiday and I will have time---thanks for all the hints--it is now comming togeather in my mind--it all makes sense now---I just did not understand the equipment--I will read one of the operating manuals cover to cover next week. Thanks agai--I will post results back to this post when I have it down patCheersDorn

Guest Popart

Looks to me you might have the 'Wake Turbulence' effect on in AS2004.5 or ASV. Try turn it off.Regards,Arthur.

HI ArthurWhat is AS2004 or ASVI dont undwerstandCheers

Guest Popart

>What is AS2004 or ASVDorn, never mind. If you don't know what this is, you probably won't be using it. Sorry.