Sign in to follow this  
ChuckB

Request to anyone doing the Flight Simulator Survey/Mon...

Hi,A couple of weeks ago, I was contacted by Microsoft to be a part of their FS2004 survey. As part of being on this survey, there is a program which must be installed which basically monitors your activity while FS is running. Trust me, it is legit, I have been in contact with the team already. Anyway, to the heart of my story. I flew a flight one day using one of the great PMDG 737, and FS locked up about 3/4 of the way through my flight. The Event Viewer Log said that the problem was FSLog.dll, the file that is installed in the Modules folder of FS as part of the survey. So I wrote the team, and they wanted me to give them as much information as I could about the flight and so on. I did, and they said they would look at the data from my flight and the other info I gave them. Tonight, I took another flight with the PMDG, the first with the PMDG since that crash. Once again, FS crashed and FSLog.dll was to blame. I have flown many flights between these crashes in other aircraft and have had no problems. Of course, common sense says, uninstall the program and all of my problems disappear. But, I would really like to help out with the survey program if I can, so I would rather they make their file play nice with my PMDG. So my request is this; if there is any other PMDG 737NG owners out there that are on the survey program with Microsoft, could you tell me if you've had a crash as well as a result of this file, FSLog.dll If so, could you give me some info on what all was going on at the time? If you are on the program, have flown the PMDG 737, and have noy had a problem, I would like to know that as well, as then maybe there is something else going on that I haven't taken account of. Hopefully, I, or we, can get this worked out.Thank you for your time!ChuckC-130H Flight EngineerDyess AFB, TXAthlon XP 2800+ | ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe | Antec TruePower 480 PS | 1.0 gig DDR PC2700 | WD 120 gig HD | WD 80 gig HD | Twin WD 160 gig SATA HDDs | SB Audigy 2 | ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128 | CH Products USB Yoke | CH Products USB Pedals | Nostromo n52 | Windows XP Pro SP2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Guest Knikolaes

Hmmm . . . I had a problem before dealing with that . . . It was with LevelD sim's 767. Basically they had me do something to fix an issue caused by that DLL. OH and that driver was NOT installed by the survey . . . . I have a feeling your driver issue and the FS program may be just a coincidence in time . . . . Lemme scour the LDS forum and see if I can find what the issue was.Was it a CTD? (Crash to Desktop)If so I am sure it is the same issue. I'll post here their fix if I can find it and confirm it is related to PMDG as well.

Hi Chuck,not sure if it helps, but I'm also taking part in the survey and have the software installed. I regualy fly the PMDG 737 and have had no problems whatsoever. Do you have the full set, 600-900? That's what I have and mostly fly the 737-800, don't know if that would make a difference? I also fly the LDS767 and Dreamfleet 727 and have had no problems with those aircraft either since installing the microsoft software. Hope you manage to solve your problem.Steve

No problems so far with any any aircraft including PMDG.Regards,Gustav.

Guest Knikolaes

Okay, I found the LDS post.It is not related to your driver issue as their CTD was for another driver that was specific to the LDS's unique TCAS system.Sorry :-(

Guest carlonch

Hello Chuck,I

HiI also took part in the survey and had disasterous results. Like you my first flight after installing the software caused a sieze up on my screen. It just froze and i could not shut down apart from switching off at the front panel. The next flight did exactly the same but this time it would not reboot, i had no choice but to re format the hard drive and start all over. So this time i have not installed the microsoft software and have not had a single problem with any flight,and i have the same drivers as before. It always worked fine before the software was added, and its working fine now i have removed it, so as an amature i am guessing my problem was with microsofts software installed on my machineregardsJohn Calleja

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

Everybody,Thank you for your inputs. Being that it is the 4th of July here in the States, I am not counting on hearing anything from Microsoft today. I have been looking at some of the other posts in various forums here on AVSIM and have also discovered that the majority of people that are participating are not having problems. I am not too worried, I will be doing a fresh install of XP and FS next week when I get my new cpu, motherboard and ram. I will then reinstall the monitoring software and go from there. Hopefully, everything will be fine. In the meantime, keep filling out those surveys, and thanks again.ChuckC-130H Flight EngineerDyess AFB, TXAthlon XP 2800+ | ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe | Antec TruePower 480 PS | 1.0 gig DDR PC2700 | WD 120 gig HD | WD 80 gig HD | Twin WD 160 gig SATA HDDs | SB Audigy 2 | ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128 | CH Products USB Yoke | CH Products USB Pedals | Nostromo n52 | Windows XP Pro SP2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Guest Steve_Park

I have been part of the survey for about 1 month now and I fly almost everyday with LDS763, PMDG's 737-600-700-800-900, Feelthere's ERJ and CRJ, Lago's MD-80, all with no problems. I also use SB3 for Vatsim everyflight, ASV for weather, and FSNav 4.7 for flight following, moving map. No crashes yet.Steve ParkKSDF

Guest Knikolaes

I . . .DO have one question . . . . WHAT is that software supposed to be doing in your sim? What is it monitoring, precisely?One would think if Microsoft is wanting to actually improve FS they would post a survey on the web and let people actually tell them in their own words what they WANT in FS, not just where they are flying to . . . .

Christopher,Microsoft does want to know. As part of this "group" all of the participants are asked to take a pretty lengthy survey and there are lots of places to put down one's opinions and thoughts. I took the survey, and it took me about an hour to complete. As for what data Microsoft is looking at, they are looking at things like add-on aircraft, and I also believe scenery add-ons. One thing that they do not look for though, is add-on utilities like ActiveSky. But at the end of every flight is a standard survey, and I always put down what aircraft I was flying, the add-on scenery used, and my weather program. If there is anything else that I use, like FSNav or something along those lines, I include it as well in the post.I hope this answered your questions.ChuckC-130H Flight EngineerDyess AFB, TXAthlon XP 2800+ | ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe | Antec TruePower 480 PS | 1.0 gig DDR PC2700 | WD 120 gig HD | WD 80 gig HD | Twin WD 160 gig SATA HDDs | SB Audigy 2 | ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128 | CH Products USB Yoke | CH Products USB Pedals | Nostromo n52 | Windows XP Pro SP2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Funnily enough i also had this error, anyone who reguarly visits the screenshot forum will know i did a Paris - Gatwick flight, the PMDG locked up just into the descent. FSlog.dll caused error blah blah. Whether this is a flaw in the MS teams survey system or just a freak coding conflict on PMDG's part i don't know.. Maybe both ;)

G-MIDY/Lawrence :-scatterAMD 3000+ | 6800GT | 1GB GeiL |

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

Guest Knikolaes

Aaaaah okay I see.Can you link me to where I can at least do the written part of the survey or download this?As for the program, they'd have one HECK of a time keeping up with my little fleet and add-ons. Here is some of what I use in my sim:PPL and IFR Rating: Beechcraft Bonanza F33M Carenado Beechcraft Bonanza V35b Carenado Beechcraft Debonair Geof Applegate Cessna 152 Flight1 Cessna 172 Flight1 Cessna 177 Cardinal Flight1 Cirrus SR20 Six Wolfram Beckert Diamond Katana DA-20-80 Digital Aviation Diamond Katana DA-20-100 Digital Aviation Piper Archer II (C181) Carenado Piper Archer II Dreamfleet Piper Cherokee (C180F) Carenado Piper Dakota (C236) Carenado Piper Warrior II and III Australian Simulations Socata TB-10 Tobago Barry Blaisdell Socata TB-20GT Trinidad Fr. Bill Leaming Commercial Rating: Cessna 177 RG Cardinal Flight1 Cessna 208B Grand Caravan Feelthere Cessna Centurian Carenado Piper Meridian Flight1 Pilatus PC-12 Flight1 Multi-Engine Rating: Beechcraft Baron 58 Default Cessna 310 Flight1 Cessna 421C Golden Eagle Cessna 441 Flight1 Jet Transition: Bombardier Learjet 45 Default Bombardier Learjet 60 Perfect Flight Cessna Citation CJ1 Eaglesoft Cessna Citation II/SP Eaglesoft Cessna Citation X CE750 Eaglesoft Raytheon Beechjet 400A Eaglesoft Raytheon Hawker 400XP Eaglesoft Raytheon Premier 1 Eaglesoft ATP Training ATR 72-500 Flight1 Beech Super Kingair 200 Aeroworx Beechcraft B1900C PMDG Beechcraft B1900D PMDG Canadair CRJ-200 Feelthere DeHavilland Dash 8 PSS DHC-6 Twin Otter LAGO Embraer ERJ-145LR Feelthere Advanced ATP Type Ratings Airbus A319/320/321 PSS Airbus A330-200/300 PSS Airbus A340-200/300 PSS Airbus A380 Perfect Flight Boeing B707 Captain Sim Boeing B727-100/200 Captain Sim Boeing B737-600/700 NG PMDG Boeing B737-800/900 NG PMDG Boeing B747-200 Vmax Boeing B747-400 Default Boeing B757-200 Project Opensky Boeing B767-300ER Level D Simulations Boeing B777-300 Default Canadair CRJ-700 Feelthere Canadair CRJ-900 Feelthere DC-9 Iron Knuckles Flight1 McDonnell Douglas MD-11 Perfect Flight McDonnell Douglas MD-80 LAGO Amphibious/Water Operations Cessna Caravan Amphibian Default DHC-6 Twin Otter Floats LAGO Lake Turbo Renegade 270 Renegade/Seawolf Design Group Maule M7-260 Amphibian Supersonic Airliners Concorde PSS Specialized Operations DeHavilland Dash 7 Team 7 Maule M7-260 Pilatus PC-6 Porter FSD The scenery I use the most is as follows:FSGenesis - all add-ons for entire world coverageSwitzerland professionalGerman Airports SeriesMegascenery (Denver, Northeast, Northwest, N CA, S CA, Dallas)USA RoadsFSGenesis Streams, Railroads and UtilitiesFLight1 Flight EnvironmentActiveSky 2004.5Utilities are:FlightTracker 7.+FSBuild 2.2AFCADDXTBMPEdit VoicepackFrapsLeast to say I am a LITTLE edgey on installing in case I have to do a reinstall like a fw folks are saying they had to do as a result of the program, but I'd be MORE than happy to fill out a survey on me own **smiles** I just didnt want to go through a windows reinstall because it takes me usually two weeks to reinstall FS fully with my current options.

Christopher,Sorry my friend, I could give you the link, but you have to have the Microsoft-issued User ID in order to take the survey.Your list of add-ons is nice, I see we share a lot of the same tastes. I too like to fly a lot of different aircraft, and I have a ton of utilities, much like you do. If you were on the program, you'd have nothing to fear really. If the .dll file gave you problems repeatedly, you could just uninstall it. Like I said before, there are a few that have ran into problems, but I haven't read anything about anyone having to completely reinstall FS because of this file. I've only read that they get annoyed with the problem, uninstall the FSLog.dll and everything is great again.ChuckC-130H Flight EngineerDyess AFB, TXAthlon XP 2800+ | ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe | Antec TruePower 480 PS | 1.0 gig DDR PC2700 | WD 120 gig HD | WD 80 gig HD | Twin WD 160 gig SATA HDDs | SB Audigy 2 | ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128 | CH Products USB Yoke | CH Products USB Pedals | Nostromo n52 | Windows XP Pro SP2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Guest Knikolaes

Killer. Works for me.Where do I get the program? From the main FS site? (Will look this afternoon after I get back from Financial Aid at the school).Thank a lot for the info.