Sign in to follow this  
Guest aaron

My computer -------- IS GIVING ME FITS WITH FS2002!

Guest aaron

My computer specs areP4 2.0 Gig256 MB RamGeforce 2 MX/400I was getting better frame rates with my celeron 700 with less ram, and the same video card! With the 700 the frames were about 10-30.With my new system, the frames are 5-10. I don't understand it.I have Windows 98. Maybe it is a driver problem, but I don't know which drivers to get or where to get them.Any help would be appreciated!http://www.webspawner.com/users/ahay/FINAL%20BANNER.jpgRegards,Aaron

When you say "new system", was the system prebuilt, or did you build it yourself? If it was prebuilt, I'd assume that you had to do a new install of 2k2... Two things may be causing your problems:-More than likely, 2k2 would have detected the faster system, and enabled more eye candy than what was enabled in the older system. This can slow fps, especially if AI is cranked up. A good benchmark when I offer advice is what I call the "Sky Harbor test"... Place yourself facing west on any of the three runways, and note your fps with AI turned off, then with AI turned on. You should get at least 30-40 with AI off, and 20-30 with AI on.-If it was a store bought system, check your system tray. If you see more than the volume control, chances are there's something loaded that's slowing your system a great deal. Store bought systems are famous for "junk" applets...-John

Guest Astrojet 112

I am new to PC's (MAC user), how do you check the system tray?Thanks,Astro

The system tray is a section on the lower right of the Windows desktop--it usually contains one (good) to several (bad) small icons--the most common of which looks like a small "speaker", which is the volume control.Depending on the system, there are many applets which load themselves into the system tray--virus checkers, system monitors, chat centers, etc.... For best simming, it's a really good idea to terminate these processes before running 2k2 (or any 3d app, IMHO). That's done by "right clicking" each icon in the tray.Something else that can slow FS2002 down is the gps window. Some panels display it by default, and when a greater range is displayed, the gps can slow 2k2 down. I usually max it around 20-40 miles.-John

Question:Like to do the test but to which "Sky Harbour" are you referring?I can't find any with 3 runways.I'm probably not looking in the right direction :)

Sky Harbor airport in Phoenix, AZ.... It has three East/West runways.... -John

i know this is "old" but, try http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/hdnew/ and follow directions, it does make a difference. the drivers can be found at nvidias site, and the detonator series are self-installing, probably the way to go if your not "up to speed" on driver installs. you might try a couple different ones and save a flight to compare which is better. tom t