Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stanner1953

Flying SIDS and STARS MANUALLY????

Guest Stanner1953

I normally have Sids and Stars in my flight plan which I create with FSBuild. With the computer on autopilot it follows the plan route and flies the Sids and Stars in the route.How can I fly a Sid or Star route manually, as will be required if I was flying on line on VATSIM for example. The Controller will give a command to fly vector xxx to a particular point and then etc.I have the PMDG NG737 600/700 which only has one Vor ADF instrument.Can anyone explain how to use this instrument to fly a SID or STAR.In other words to fly to a VOR manually? Is there a tutorial that will show me using the PMDG instrument or one very similar to it?Thanks.Stanner

Guest N405WN

Suggest you check out this site: http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htmGives detailed explanations on navigating with NDBs, VORs, etc. Also, if you are just learning how to fly VORs manually, I suggest using a smaller and slower plane such as a Cessna 182 or something similar.

Guest Stanner1953

Thank you for your reply.However, the VOR instrument in the PMDG is not the same as in the Cessna, which is the instrument in the excellent tutorial you suggested. That is my problem. How do I fly a VOR using the instrument in the PMDG NG600/700 ??Thank you.Stanner

Guest N405WN

Again, you should start out with the basics. The Cessna is a stable, slow flying plane and will make learning how to fly VORs much easier. Once you learn how to fly VORs using the Cessna VOR gauge, you'll find that the PMDG gauge is not much different.Or maybe I'm completely missing your question and you already know how to fly VORs with the gauge in the Cessna but not in the PMDG?

If you understand how the VOR works the instruments are the same. :) Try with the cessna and then have a look at th various modes of the 737 ND :) Luca

Guest frankathl

Hi Stanner,Here is a quick(ish) answerI presume by 'manually' you mean not using the FMC or the autopilot? In that case, you can use the Navigation Display, as below(you don't need to use the RDMI(VOR/ADF pointers), except as backup).Tune the VOR on your NAV 1 radio. Use the ND in VOR modeDisplay the radial you want to track by setting it in the CRS window on the MCP, Use heading changes to intercept and track that radial(bracket the course, don

Just to correct something Stanner, you do not have to fly a SID or STAR manually when on VATSIM.Program the FMC normally with your route including the SID, your STAR should wait until you are near your destination so you know which runway is in use, or make a good guess based on winds and be prepared to change the runway when given it.If ATC do not want you to fly a full SID the usual amendment is a short cut so you may get a 'fly direct to XXX' usually XXX is a waypoint on the SID but further along. Just select it from your legs list, put it in the scratchpad and then copy it to the top of the list.If the XXX waypoint is not in the legs then type it identifier into the scratchpad and copy to the top of the list. Check that the distance to it is reasonable, i.e. not 1,000mls away, and then execute.On arrival the normal directions are headings rather than radials "Turn left heading 237 degrees". All you do there is set the heading on the MCP, disengage LNAV and hit HDG select.You may also get speed and altitude restrictions different to those in the FMC. Set them up in the MCP, disengage VNAV and set a decent rate on the v/s.HTH

Guest neil_b

Feel free to correct me here, but I was always under the assumption that STARS were independant of the arrival runways, and that they should be included as part of the filed flight plan.Am I wrong?

Guest Stanner1953

GentlemenThank you. In particular Frank, and the gentleman who gave instructions on how to enter ATC directions into the FMC.This was exactly what I wantedStanner

Guest tmetzinger

>Feel free to correct me here, but I was always under the>assumption that STARS were independant of the arrival runways,>and that they should be included as part of the filed flight>plan.>>Am I wrong?yes and no. STARS can have a common beginning and then different endings depending on the runway. It's also common to file one STAR and tet a completely different one later.So by all means file the arrival, but be ready to change plans.Best Wishes

Guest neil_b

Thanks for the clarification Tim.