Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

How can we fly safely over mountains in cloud?

Guest speight

Hi Cliff,I know that fs9 flightplanner is "terrain aware". I may be wrong but, fsnav I belive, is also terrain aware and the automated flight planning feature will insert the terminal procedures-provided you have updated the airacs. The terminal procedures are designed to keep you clear of high terrain, obstacles, boundaries and residential areas and Gib is no exception. I usually hand fly the arrival into Gib with no problems, though the first time I did it, I had a missed approach to 09. If you follow the guide on our web pages, then it should go well enough.Fs9 does not show the Rock, but there are freeware sceneries on avsim and payware from Aerosoft which is very good, as it shows the rock itself, floating light buoys to indicate the approach turn and has the traffic barriers across the runway.HTH

Thats a tragic story Ken about the mail plane. My question is, wouldn't they have heard the landing clearance over the frequency given to an airplane while they were still sitting on the runway and wouldn't that be a cause for alarm?

Guest cliffie1931

Hi again Howard. FS Nav, unless I'm mistaken isn't terrain aware. And again, unless I'm wrong neither is FS9.But on the assumption that I'm mistaken I wonder if you can tell me something? I've been creating my Flight Plans with FS Nav which exports them into the FMC of the 737 as well as into FS9.In that way the 737 FMC has the Flight Plan available in it's list of Plans and after takeoff I can follow the flight in FS Nav.I've just created a new Flight Plan in FS9 but can see no way to add it to the Plans in the 737 FMC. Can that be accomplished?With my regards,Cliff