Sign in to follow this  
flightsimmer747

747 startup compared to the 737 and manual or tutorial

Hi guys,One thing that took me time with the 737 was the whole startup process, i know that their is a learning curve but to be honest I read the manual many times and what really helped was a tutorial made from a 3rd party. From cold and dark startup to engine shutdown everything was written step by step. It was more of a tutorial and example of a flight. Of course the manual made everything in the tutorial make sense.I would like to have a tutorial for the 747, chances are since my knowledge has increased i'll understand the systems better with the practice of the 737, but the 747 is different in amny ways from what i read.So can i assume that most of the startup steps can be used with the 747 from what i know from the 737 or is it completly different? Will PMDG offer a step by step startup and shutdown (tutorial) to get the plane airborne? I'm not asking for a detail like close the lights or even set altimeter to 29.92 above FL180 but more about the systems and engines and computer setup in the 747? I would love for this very important procedure to be a little easier to learn than it first was when i bought the 737. It just took me way too long to learn and until this day even the 737 has me learning new stuff but at least I can fly it and get it off the ground thanks to the tutorial. Thanks in advance for any tips, avice or information on this!!!

This is of course true with any very complex modelled aircraft and when you have say a 747-400 - you have a lot to learn to even get it started. Unlike the 737 though, the 744 has a lot more hard core fans who know what to do and I bet the many PS1 users will help out many in operations of this aircraft, that is not to say that PMDG will not provide detailed information abnd checklists, but at present I have not seen a "step by step" useage guide for this plane or any others that I own not written by someone else. It's pretty hard to make such a guide simply because of the different situations and flights that people want to do which vary according to such a flight plan.[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

From watching the 747-400 DVD I got impression that 747 is actually an easy airplane to start provided you assume all systems work and you can make use of full automation. I was suprised how short and uncomplicated Virgin Atlantic's checklists (for normal operation) are and how quickly engines can be started or shut down. 747's APU can start 2 engines at a time and the whole procedure looked very simple.Michael J.

Guest mcalluaud

There is a very good Procedure Manual by Mike RAY . Over 320 pages of step by step procedures ; full of very detailed pictures . Very usefull . Available from www.utem.com for US$ 49.95 . MichelC

Is it similar to the 767?IE packs off, isloation valves on, APU running, Start on overhead panel, then open up fuel switch when N2=18?Or can the 744 be started with packs on?

Guest pellelil

The Virgin DVD is skipping the entire Cockpit preparation, which includes checking the settings of everything, starting up the APU loading the Flight-plan and the likes. I can highly recommend the "747 Simulator Checkride manual", which goes through these steps in details: http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpgPelle F. S. Liljendal

Hi allAll packs are shutoff during engine start.The engines are normally started by autostart as well, so instead of putting the fuel in when N1 is around 20%, the fuel lever is placed into the run position then the start lever is pulled. However you will get the hang of it if you have experience with the B737NG. All planes are the same...fly one, fly them all!Ross

Well flying with the B744 will of course - as with all programs simulating the real thing as close as it can (level-d B767 - PMDG 737 - PS1 ) require some real study of the manuals and systems. Real life pilots have to do a 6 month's ground school when they are transfering to the Queen of the Skies...The B747 cockpit layout differ very much from the B737, which is in fact still based on the "classic boeing cockpit layout". The B744 was the first Boeing aircraft with the new glass cockpit look and principals. A layout on which the B756 and B777 are based too.A lot depends on SOP's, but normally engines are AUTOSTART - as they are monitored by the EEC. As the APU is so powerfull 2 engines a time can be started too.Also the number of packs depend on the SOP's. (The airline I knows is using 1 pack on).B. RgdsMichel

Guest AJ

I think it is safe to say that the answer to your question is both yes and no. Let's break it down:1. The NG and 744 are substantially different aircraft, and it follows that there will be a wide variety of differences in procedure. 2. At the same time both aircraft are produced by the same manufacturer and both have modern all-glass cockpits, and intuitive automated systems. Thus, you will no doubt also find a significant degree of commonality. For instance, the FMC setup and operation will be highly similar, though with some subtle differences to be sure. In terms of procedures, I imagine the learning curve in transfering from an NG to a 744 would be substantially more shallow than going from a 742 to a 744.3. PMDG's 744 is a newer, more advanced piece of software incorporating numerous aspects of realism not present on the NG. Presumably, this will also introduce a good bit of new maerieal to learn.Look at it this way. You need to RTFM regardless of your sim experience, but if you have learned the NG well, your job will doubtlessly be easier. Andrew

Guest pellelil

RMA> Just checked it out (to be sure). According to "The unofficial Boeing 747-400 Simulator and Checkride Procedures Manual" (now thats a long title ) page 177 describing what to do just before engine start: "Set only ONE PACK SWITCH ON, select all the others OFF" (and the image shows pack 1 and 2 in the OFF position and pack 3 in "NORM" position.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpgPelle F. S. Liljendal

I'm not saying that you will be able to fly it perfectly if you have flown the pmdg 737ng. I am saying that any plane can be gotton into the air with some knowledge. Ie engine start (which this topic is based on) requires electrics, fuel and air. You would know that from the pmdg 737ng if you didnt already. Like wise you know to raise the landing gear after takeoff if you had no previous flying experience. Fly one plane, fly them all. Obviously you will need to study the manual in depth if you want to get the full benefit from the product. Ross