Sign in to follow this  
Pod562

Changing the Transition Altitude

Sorry if this has been asked before and I have done a search, but how do you change the transition altitude to something other than the 18,000 ft USA default. Is this a PMDG or a FS9 task.ThanksRenzo Nicoletti

Bill Miller

You can change the transition altitude in the PERF INIT page were you enter the ZFW. Type it in the scratchpad and then line select it up to the LSK next to the transition altitude.On the upcomming B744 it's changed in the VNAV CLB page.

Not sure what you mean. You can change trans alt on the fmc, but fs9 will still assume that you are in the US (is there anywhere else?? ;-) ) regardless of where in the world you actually are.Here in Oz the FL's start above 10,000Jeff

Jeff Hunter

Guest Popart

>is there>anywhere else??:-erks

>Not sure what you mean. You can change trans alt on the fmc,>but fs9 will still assume that you are in the US (is there>anywhere else?? ;-) ) regardless of where in the world you>actually are.>>Here in Oz the FL's start above 10,000>>Jeff Not sure what you mean since it is the FMC that matters here, this trans altitude is generic to reality so what exactly would FS be "holding" by your usage of "assume"?[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

I'm kind of fuzzy on the whole "generic to reality" thing, Randy. I've always understood generic to mean "descriptive of an entire group or class". As you no doubt realise, the US approach is not reflective of the world as a whole. (and let's not go there).What I mean, is that in the US, if you are asked to maintain 17000 feet, you will be 17000 feet amsl if the barometric pressure is correctly set. In places where the trans alt is less than that, you will be at FL170 at std pressure. The FS atc (ugh) will bust you if the actual pressure is much different. Here in Australia, there is nothing to worry about in terms of terrain above 7310 feet, hence a 10000 ft trans altAll I was pointing out was that MS have assumed (for the purposes of the sim and atc) that 18000 is the trans alt everywhere, and that cannot be changed.Jeff

Jeff Hunter

Guest glenlee

Is it possible to change the default setting that appears in the FMC?I always fly from EGLL and that is 'always' 6000ft and I always have to put 6000 in where it says 18000. (or is that the Trans level?)Anyhoo.. can it be changed so it starts as 6000? I don't use FS ATC cos they sound funny!!!Glen.

Guest Ray CYYZ

TL and TA are treated the same in the 737. Not really a big problem when you look at it from the standpoint of just being a sim.Beta folks? Does the 744 handle them as two separate things now?Ray

Hmmm. So, in Austrailia, do you have to fly IFR when flying at 10000 or above? Or is 18000 as it is in the US?*EDIT* Oh yeah, and no you can't change the transition level in FS, you will have to continue to set your altimeter until passing 18000, at least with default ATC, you may want to ask the folks at the Radar Contact forum if they support international flight rules.JeffJeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

You can fly VFR above 10,000 - you must have O2, though.In areas with radar, anything above FL180 is class A and IFR only.Where there's no radar - ie, most of the country/less of the traffic - class A starts at FL245, but you need a properly calibrated altimeter to be VFR over FL200.regards,Jeff

Jeff Hunter

Guest Ray CYYZ

TL/TA are used to know when to adjust your barometer to standard or local pressure, not a function of IFR vs VFR, just aimed at making sure two different aircraft don't fly into each other due to altimeters being set wrongly.Above TA you will always fly with 29.92in (1013 hPa). Normally speak in Flight Levels.Below TL you will always fly with the local pressure dialed in. Normally speak in altitude above Mean Sea Level also called QNHThink MSFS is fixated with the USA 18,000 feet as TL/TA no matter what for the ATC.Ray

Guest glenlee

But is it possible to change the default TL/TA in PMDG 737? from 18000 to 6000 or something else of your choice?CheersGlenSorry for the (at least on topic) hijack of this post!!

Guest Ray CYYZ

Page 1/2 of the PERF INIT page (TRANS ATL (RSK4))orPage 1/1 DES FORECASTS page (TRANS LVL (LSK1) + QNH (RSK2)) While PMDG respects these, they should be not linked (MSFS is likely forcing this on them)Ray