Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

Looking for a GA plane recommendation

I've been out of the FS2k2 loop for a bit. I am ready to graduate from the C172 I've been flying in the sim, but none of the other built-in planes are capturing my interest. I tried the Baron, but don't really like the view from the virtual cockpit (Scenery is obstructed by the wings and engine cowlings), and it just feels a bit more advanced than what I am ready for.I want to stick with a single-engine prop plane, but something with more speed and umph than the Cessna. I used to enjoy flying the Mooney Bravo in FU3, but I don't see any Mooney's available in the file library here.What's important to me:* Good virtual cockpit* Good visibilility (I like a nice field of view to admire the scenery in VFR)* Good flight model (I am not a stickler, but I like it to provide a sense of reality - I was using Steve Small's airfile for the Baron)* Would prefer retractable gearPayware is fine, if the price is reasoable.Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Friend,Given your specifications, the answer is easy.Take a gander at FSD's wonderful Commander C-115TC. It has excellent visuals, superb VC, and Steve Small's flight model artistry.Many believe this to be the very best GA aircraft in FS-dom. Of course, there are other fine models as well. But given your criteria, this should suit you very well.If you want something even simpler, of course, you might look at FSD's Piper Cub (a classic).Go to http://www.fsd-international.com/ and enjoy.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Well, I cannot express how strongly I reccomend the Commander 115TC. It suits all four of your requirements perfectly. The VC is incredible, especially with the service release. The 2d panel is great as well, it functions perfectly for both IFR and VFR, and also has 2d views in the 2d panel if you so choose. The FDX are incredible as well, it really makes you feel like you're zooming along. Best of all, it's fast. It is payware, but you can get it at www.FSD-International.com. They currently offer the Piper Cheyenne, Commander 115TC, and Piper Super Cub as payware and they are all superb. If you're looking for GA they're pretty much your best bet.ScottEdit: Seems as though Mike got to it first, either way, check it out. You won't regret it.

Guest SoarPics

The Dreamfleet Archer II (payware) might be one to look at. You can't go wrong with anything from Dreamfleet. Also, I highly recommend the B33 Beech Debonair, by Geoffrey Applegate and James Eden. This is non-payware, and is really a great aircraft. Truly a labor of love (it's modeled after Geof's RW Deb). Hopefully, Geof or James will offer more info in this thread, but you can download it from the Avsim library. Seems to me that it fits your criteria really well.Regards,

I found a nice Cardinal the other day by Dana McGee--it's an older FS2000 model, but it has moving parts, transparent windows, and a nice low profile panel as well, with a great fuel flow gauge. Certainly not up there with some of the payware, but I find it a refreshing break from many of the aircraft I've flown, and at 145-150 kts cruise, I get places fairly quickly. Here's a link to the file:http://www.dimstar.net/pub/fs_panel/FAADMRG2.ZIPIf you look at my response to btacon's recent thread, you'll get a good idea of what it looks like, as I included a screenshot of a minor repaint I made...-John

Guest Jeff S KDTW

Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations.I am going to take a look at some of the freeware planes, and both the FSD Commander and the Dreamfleet Archer look great. I think I am leaning toward the Commander, because it looks like a great high-performance single-engine, which is what I am after. I remember hearing praise about the Commander a few months ago, but didn't consider it at the time because it lacked a virtual cockpit, but it looks like it's got a pretty slick VC now. I am certainly impressed by the screenshots.Looks like I can finally retire that old Cessna ;)Thanks again.

Of the singles, the Dreamfleet Archer is my favorite for it's VC panel. Almost looks as real as the 2D.L.AdamsonArcher's VC panel over Oshkosh----- pic taken by passenger in back seat..