Sign in to follow this  
PLazarus

A book recommendation

Hello all,The other day I was looking in my bookcase and found an old book I had forgotten about.... well worth reading if you can get hold of it...Flying the big jets (3rd edition for 747-400) by Stanley Stewart.ISBN 1-85310-290-3It's by a BA 744 captain and goes into lots of tech details and then he describes a complete flight (BA177 EGLL KJFK)... we are talking 300 pages of 744 detail.Cheers,Paul (SPIM)

Yes...that's the one...It looks like he updated it for the 777 at some point...but the one I have is for the 744... so if you are going to get it ( not bad at less than 4 quid) make sure you get the correct one.It's a good read... pretty technical in places, a bit simple in others... but it covers a lot of detail...Something to kill the time until PMDG are ready to release!Paul

Guest dwinters

Another book that I find as a good reference for the 747-400 is 'Boing 747-400:Heathrow-Hong Kong' (ISBN: 07110 28249). It is not quite as detailed as the first book in this topic, but covers many of the important parts of the plane.It is particularly useful for future pilots who want to know about what being a pilot and flying in general is like.David Winters

Guest glenlee

I think I'll stick with the ITVV Virgin video, Heathrow to San Fransisco all from the actual cockpit.It's like your there, kind of helping them!!Glen

There is another good one, don't know if it has been mentioned before in this forum:The UNOFFICIAL BOEING 747-400 SIMULATORCHECKRIDE PROCEDURES AND TECHNIQUES MANUALhttp://www.utem.com/manuals.htmlWritten for the real pilots it's as technical as it can get, includes non-normal procedures and everything you want to know on how to fly the B744. Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

If you want to go into the technical detail check the Bulfer manuals... www.fmcguide.comThe one for the 737NG is great. Got it as a present and heloped much in learning how the 737 should be flown :) Sometime i'll have to buy te FMC guide now that the 747 comes out :D Luca

Guest pellelil

I got all of the 3 mentioned books and if I should only buy one of them (for useage with the Queen) it would be "The unofficial Boing 747-400 simulator checkride..". The FMC guide is great if you want to learn all the details of the FMC (I am looking forward to see how much is modeled in the PMDG B744), and "Flying the big jets" is more "background info/less hands on" (however still a fine book).http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpgPelle F. S. Liljendal