Sign in to follow this  
Guest Someone_Else

747 - Any word on the price?

>As for PS1, that was a stand alone sim as far as I know, which>menat designing not only the aicraft but the full environment>in which it flew. PMDG did not have to do that.Yeah, but PS1 did not have flex wings, VC or exterior model. If you counted total effort in terms of man-hours I would not be surprised if PMDG's 747-400 took more time to do than PS1. Often in this world price is not proportional to the effort invested. So PS1 was able to charge that much because of the market it was targeting. PMDG can't charge even half of that because price expectations in the MSFS world are different but on the other hand they could get compensated with much larger sales. So at the end like many folks said above - price is dictated primarily by market considerations. My own guess is that this 744 will sell for $50-$70.Michael J.

and why exactly can't they charge half that? To this day nothing comes close to what PMDG is planning on doing, the Level-D is great, but it isn't the queen beast. When someone releases another 747 is the day PMDG can't charge what they want. Look at araine (sp?) they charge over 100 bucks for a product that arguably is just as good as the PMDG version for double the price at least, and only one livery!

>and why exactly can't they charge half that?Alex, it is not the question what they can it is rather a question what they WILL. ;)Michael J.

Guest Captain Jimbo

With a bit of a background in marketing I can tell you how the product should be priced...Before developing the product an evaluation of 'What price the market will bear' for a given product. This is versus competitors, previous products and what us the consumer is prepared to spend. Some kind of forecasting of volumes is also required to understand how much the potential revenues for this product are.Only once this has been established can you work out how much you have to spend on development.Danger is you spend a fortune on development and then have to charge an unrealistic price and then you don't sell any!I paid